• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How can I tell it's the same card?

Caporegime
I sold a GB Vega 64 on ebay that has been returned DOA.

The card was working perfectly when I sent it and it as packed as well as overclockers would pack a card. I'm finding it very hard to believe it just died during transit when they're no visible damage to any packaging. Plus, the serial sticker on the backplate is falling off, there's dust and residue on the plastic shroud, the rear input covers are missing and to top it off, there was RMA stickers for something stuck to the anti static bag. Plus, his feedback shows he buys broken tech with the hope of repairing it and making profit.

Anyway, the card is indeed dead, but is there any way I can tell from the card itself if it is indeed a vega 64 or a vega 56, as those GB gaming OC cards look identical, so it could possibly even be a V56. They use the same power (2X8 pin).

Soldato
I’d go over the photos you took of your card vs the one you received back. If you took photos of the fans then that will give you a clue as the stickers are very rarely central. Other than that any small marks on your card vs one received back. Any pcb serial numbers, Rev numbers etc. Usually near pcie slot. Screw head condition etc vs your photos.

Then take apart and fully inspect the pcb. If there is anything obvious. Burned components, cracked die etc.

Depending on your knowledge you could resistance check the phases. A shorted phase, burned component etc 100% won’t have been cause by transit.

Other than that get up a photo of the V56 pcb and V64 pcb and look for differences component wise and compare it to the one you have received back. If there are any differences between the models I’m not sure. Plus say if it has brand new paste on it then obviously has been taken apart.

One reason I always put a small mark on the pcie/hdmi/displayport shields where possible when selling a card on eBay. As well as photograph the card and pcb where possible as you will really struggle to argue your case in this kind of situation 99% of the time the buyer comes out on top, especially on eBay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I’d go over the photos you took of your card vs the one you received back. If you took photos of the fans then that will give you a clue as the stickers are very rarely central. Other than that any small marks on your card vs one received back. Any pcb serial numbers, Rev numbers etc. Usually near pcie slot. Screw head condition etc vs your photos.

Then take apart and fully inspect the pcb. If there is anything obvious. Burned components, cracked die etc.

Depending on your knowledge you could resistance check the phases. A shorted phase, burned component etc 100% won’t have been cause by transit.

Other than that get up a photo of the V56 pcb and V64 pcb and look for differences component wise and compare it to the one you have received back. If there are any differences between the models I’m not sure. Plus say if it has brand new paste on it then obviously has been taken apart.

One reason I always put a small mark on the pcie/hdmi/displayport shields where possible when selling a card on eBay. As well as photograph the card and pcb where possible as you will really struggle to argue your case in this kind of situation 99% of the time the buyer comes out on top, especially on eBay.
I want to take it apart, but I have no clue how to.

Soldato
I want to take it apart, but I have no clue how to.

If its the gaming OC model. Remove the 8 screws from the backplate. Entire pcb + heatsink should seperate then. VRM plate will likely be screwed from the inside to seperate the pcb and backplate/vrm plate. Just note where the fan cables are and seperate the pcb opposite so as to not stress the cables. Pivot the pcb/heatsink and unplug the cables.

Associate
Didn't you take pictures of the serial on the box or on the card before sending it? Have you ever registered the card, if so you could login and check the serial proving he has sent back a faulty unit which is clearly what happened. Unfortunately you likely won't win the case as already mentioned, but if you can prove the serial number is different you may have a case. Would contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they can see when and where it was bought is possible (not sure it is) but there has to be a way to prove this surely. Did he have any feedback? any previous dealing on ebay where he has bought the same card?
But if he has just switched the board or part of the card yeah hard to prove, good luck.

Caporegime
take pics write down all serial numbers even mark individual parts with UV pen if you going deep. this is the problem with ebay and the likes. id use members market if you have access in the future good luck.

Associate
take pics write down all serial numbers even mark individual parts with UV pen if you going deep. this is the problem with ebay and the likes. id use members market if you have access in the future good luck.

Think I must have just got lucky when I have sold parts on Ebay in the past, usually I refuse to sell to people with negative feedbacks and always cancel the sale or refund the money back if they have a single negative. Maybe that is a little harsh but I have always got around the scammers this way and it worked upto now, with that being said I will seriously consider not using Ebay now after reading this for sales.

I really hope the Op can get this sorted, feel terrible for him and some people are just scum for doing this.

Soldato
Used ebay selling for about 15 years and Ive come across a lot of scammers. Some mentioned on here like the ones selling 1080ti's for £199 when they were over £600 and not getting the card etc, fake 1060's etc etc etc claiming to not receive the item when you have signed proof etc etc, long annoying history even was involved with helping the Police once in a sting regarding fake autographs and fake signed merchandise. Even had to change my username because I was getting bombarded with fake 0 rating autobot bidders that could bypass the account rating block and blank address details block.

Always take the serial's of what you send.

Soldato

This is pretty good advice. I always put an inconspicuous mark using UV pen and take photos with it next to the serial number. At least you know you have been had.

Associate
This is pretty good advice. I always put an inconspicuous mark using UV pen and take photos with it next to the serial number. At least you know you have been had.

Hopefully he did record the serial, fingers crossed or hoping he can check the registration to see if it's on the site or something.

Permabanned
They do this to the rainforest recently they had to do a recall it seems. They use IMEI now with police warnings. But it happens people buy a 2080ti and send them something else in return. Then they sell them for £800.

I would use a uv pen and take pics. If thiers no S/N maybe a notch would suffice. And while doing it you roleplay butcher bill but this time the scammer is walter mc ginn. The notch is just for him :)

Soldato
I sold a GB Vega 64 on ebay that has been returned DOA.

The card was working perfectly when I sent it and it as packed as well as overclockers would pack a card. I'm finding it very hard to believe it just died during transit when they're no visible damage to any packaging. Plus, the serial sticker on the backplate is falling off, there's dust and residue on the plastic shroud, the rear input covers are missing and to top it off, there was RMA stickers for something stuck to the anti static bag. Plus, his feedback shows he buys broken tech with the hope of repairing it and making profit.

Anyway, the card is indeed dead, but is there any way I can tell from the card itself if it is indeed a vega 64 or a vega 56, as those GB gaming OC cards look identical, so it could possibly even be a V56. They use the same power (2X8 pin).

OK you need to complain to ebay that the guy didn't return back the correct card and tried to scam you.

Caporegime
OP
YES!

After initially refunding the buyer and an appeal from me, Ebay have ruled in my favour after I supplied them with images of why I think the card is a different one. This was the main text of the email.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the outcome of the case. I understand your concern that the buyer has returned a different item to you. Be assured I am more than willing to help you resolve this matter.

I can understand the frustrations that you have encountered with this case.

After further investigation of this claim, I've found that the buyer has returned a different item. For that reason, I'm happy to let you know that I have granted your appeal and cancelled the collection, which means that you are not required to pay the reimbursement amount to eBay for this case.

I appreciate you for sharing with us the documents and images which was a big factor in closing the case

I wonder if they have just gone on the photos or whether they also looked at his buying history, which seemed to include lots of broken tech. Apparently any negative feedback will be removed too.

Caporegime
OP
Thats a great result and something you don't see all too often as they normally favour the buyer.
You must be relieved.
Very, I mean, I could have just removed all my cards from PayPal and refused to pay it, but that would have led to recovery action, credit record damage and loss of my goodstanding eBay account, this way is much preferable.

I doubt eBay will get the money back from the buyer though. They’ll probably have to write it off.

Back
Top Bottom