How chuffing LOUD do those pill heads need their music?

Soldato
I was stuck in Newquay over the Run To The Sun weekend, still working on my mates club. His club is the back of another club, we've partitioned off the ajoining doorways and filled it out with some soundproofing. It wasn't enough :(

RTTS 2006, my how i enjoyed it :rolleyes:

The club nextdoor had a rave weekend, friday, saturday & sunday. They hired in a 'bit' of extra bass. OK, more than a 'bit', absolutely fracking pooploads.

Roughly 3 times the size of their existing soundsystem. I put my head around the door in the afternoon while they were unloading. I counted 6 x 2x15, 6 x 2x18, 2 x 1x21 boxes with 4 mid/top cabinets thrown in for good measure. Along with a bigass pile of amps to run it all. Anybody who has dealt with Opus Audio Developements kit will have an idea where this is going.

They warmed it up at about 8pm, then ran it up to full power.

O M F G

It hurt. Seriously. I've worked in clubs for 13 years and have never felt anything like it. It was enough to move things on the worktops in the club i was working in. I was enough to lift the plaster/saw dust around the club and make it nearly impossible to work. I couldn't concentrate to wire a plug let alone fit lights. The other guy who had been living on site had to go home as he couldn't breathe. I've got a couple of snaps on my phone but i need to find my cables to download them.

I thought i'd play them at their own game and ran up the system (2.5kW)where i was, i banged out the regulation Queens Greatest Hits as loud as i could. And couldn't hear it over the system nextdoor :(

Oh well, may as well wait until they finish and then get some kip. Except the rave didn't finish until 4am each night. Joy.

I love RTTS, honest.

Soldato
OP
basmic said:
Did people actually go in the club while it was at full power? :eek:

I had a chance to see inside the club after a few morons managed to beat down the partition wall we used to block one of the entrances between the clubs. I was packed to the rafters, some bird with unwashed dreadlock hair was playing, followed by what looked like a eight year old scratching :confused: , never really understood rave stuff.

The following morning the bottle skips had about 30 empty Becks bottles and rough 2 squilion emtpy water bottles. Must have been hot in there ;)

Soldato
OP
Radiation said:
Has anyone tried cancelling out these sort of problems by getting the same bit of music then inverting the phase and playing it back in sync?

You'd need kit with a matching frequecy range and matching amplifier capacity. It does work on a small scale, you can buy headphones which cancel out a small amount of background noise, but on a large scale it would be tricky, the units would need to be in the same room, having a wall between them would add an extra set of accoustics and throw everything out of kilter.

edit, i actually considered making a set of these headphones for my GCSE electronics projects, but the teacher told me that it was totally impossible and it was a stupid idea. Three years later i saw them on some techy program as the latest thing to have for peace and quiet on the train :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It wouldn't muffle it, if you were even a fraction of a cycle out you would actually be amplifying the noise. Maybe a set of headphones would help a person, but NOTHING will fix the bass problem.

Soldato
OP
As you said, there are too many variables. You'd need identical speakers to be sure of identical frequency reproduction, etc, etc. If the systems were in differenct rooms, you'd also need a microphone pickup to add in the sound of the shaking walls (i kid you not!:eek: )

On a small scale it does work, the headphones are a perfect example. They reduce noise, but don't eliminate it.

Soldato
OP
Finally found my phone cables!

I know the T610 has a kak camera, but try and imagine that you could originally see the far wall in these shots...

dust1.jpg
dust2.jpg

The lack of light due to dust is part of the reason for the bad pics.

This bit was fun though, the canopy outside WAS going to come down ...

rope.jpg

Took a lot longer than expected though, that thing was strong!

Back
Top Bottom