How difficult is it to make your own website?

Soldato
I'm roughly guessing this is the correct section.

For the actual website design etc itself I want to use a freelancer.

The website is purely to sell one or two products with payments via paypal I guess.

Let me make it very clear, I am a 100% noob at this, I tried googling but all the results are related to website building software and everything like that.

I don't actually know what to do from start to finish.

What about buying your url?
What format is the design in, is it uploaded to the url?

As you can see, serious lack of knowledge here !

You buy your url normally through your host. I like Vidahost, very good tech support.

You can get hosting + domain name for ~£20 a year.

The format to upload could be html or php but your freelancer should do all that for you.
It sounds like you know nothing so it may be best to get him or her to do a CMS ( wordpress) site for you if you want to alter it yourself. To be honest it may be worth letting them do everything for you.

I don't want to get involved in the making of it tbh.

I just want to tell them what I do, what the website needs to do and thats it finished.

I don't need to be editing the website everyday.

So I just need to tell the freelancer everything and they should do it from start to finish?

yes, but be prepared with your own copy and images for the site and products. You'll probably need to setup the paypal account as well.

Sounds like your good to go. other than most freelancers would probably want you to write your own content, then they can cut and paste it into your website.

Aye, as a professional web designer I'd agree with Van Hellseek above, it would cost a fair bit (not £2k, more £1.2k for a small company like mine).

I'd be happy to talk to you about your requirements if you did go down the freelancer route, then you would know exactly what you need from them.

I'm sure any decent freelancer would be able to set up a website for you, even including buying and setting up the site, if that's part of your needs. Contact me via the forums if you want to discuss that more, I'm happy to help. Just make sure you have pictures, prices, and the paypal account set-up before contacting any freelancer or designer about it.

I would recommend that if you do opt for freelance route, you press for some sort of contract.

a lot of people new to freelancing often dont bother, which can cause headaches later down the road for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom