How do CEX get away with it?

Caporegime
What I mean is, how do they get away with charging the same price, sometimes more, for second hand games than the new price?

I went to buy BF1 today for PS4. Thought I'd pop in there as I really dont mind second hand games, can be a bargain. Was shocked to find they was charging £45 a copy. Over the road in Argos, you could get it brand new for that, so I ended up in Argos.

Look at their price of COD - £50/New - £48.99

I dont know how they can possibly sell these games at these prices. You must be an idiot to pay the same more for a second hand game.

Ridiculous. You expect a bargain from a shop like that.

Soldato
I can explain this one.

They generally give drastically more for trade ins. By the time you trade in and pick up a copy of BF1, you are usually better off than going somewhere like Game. Not always the case, but you get the idea.

It's like they have their own weird little economy.

Caporegime
OP
I can explain this one.

They generally give drastically more for trade ins. By the time you trade in and pick up a copy of BF1, you are usually better off than going somewhere like Game. Not always the case, but you get the idea.

It's like they have their own weird little economy.

So basically it's not worth buying any newish games from there unless your trading in?

I must admit, their trade in prices for good games are pretty decent. £33 for FIFA, probably more than what you'd get on MM.

Soldato
I sold my copy of COD IW to CEX in Preston the Saturday after it release for £51 so I cant complain about them, it was only £14 less than retail.

However while I was in there I noticed a lot of their stuff, including 3 year or older PC component we well above market value.

They rely on you trading against it to make it seem like its affordable. Then make money on what you have traded too.

I find the whole trading business model quite toxic.

Personally I try and stay out of there as the shop and its clientele smell off unwashed ass.

Soldato
Older titles tend to be more reasonable and inline with eBay which I guess is what they probably use to set those prices.

The number of unwashed may depend on what branches you visit. :)

Soldato
Yeah it's a real mixed bag, half the time I'm thinking that's not a bad price or trade-in value then the other half I'm thinking I'd rather just give it to my gran so I can get my cheeks pinched instead.

Soldato
Very rarely go in there now. Last time I did was to trade in my iPhone 6 for cash before the 6S came out and the value dropped. Worked out cheaper than ebay or selling it privately. So they do have their uses.

Soldato
I mean people don't shop around and that's why they continue to charge such prices. In Ireland I have stopped going to Gamestop after 10+ years of being a loyal customer because I realised I was getting ripped off and they are always the most expensive place to buy.

So many people just walk into these shops and don't think twice about the price they are paying for games.

All the triple A titles are all 70-75 euro which is like £60+

I go to argos across the road and save 15-20 euro on any title they are selling.

If more people shopped around shops would have no choice but to lower their prices.

Associate
CEX Just gave me £32 for Dishonored 2, can't complain when I only paid £18 from Amazon with my PS4 Pro....

Back
Top Bottom