How do Ebay deal with counterfeit goods?

Caporegime
I've just bought Game Of Thrones Season 7 blu-ray, and having received it today it's obviously counterfeit.

I asked the seller to refund me and I'd dispose of the item without it going any further, alas they've refused.

I'm going to ring Ebay on Saturday as per their instructions here ; https://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/counterfeits.html

Does anyone know how Ebay tends to handle these issues?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've just bought Game Of Thrones Season 7 blu-ray, and having received it today it's obviously counterfeit.

I asked the seller to refund me and I'd dispose of the item without it going any further, alas they've refused.

I'm going to ring Ebay on Saturday as per their instructions here ; https://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/counterfeits.html

Does anyone know how Ebay tends to handle these issues?

They ask for photos, if it's obvious you get a refund, your choice to keep or destroy the item. Happened with when I recd a counterfeit jacket (I took it to a homeless shelter - some homeless chap has a pretty good quality fake Fjallraven jacket).

If the counterfeit isn't obvious in the photos, they ask you to post it to them for inspection - they pay for postage.

Caporegime
OP
Out of interest, how is it obviously counterfeit?
In answer to your question: I don’t know.

y4mh1LjkH3L_MD7A7kDHt1FjSf63_rTvvwO0FFFYAx7n093c-3cHtU5s6ZjqWMyRUbRvcMFwc2tpb9-sgpdjv70c53S8zUj8OkZ-rF6VZFoT9A2O-v0fA14r-lhF427cGADI7xLWHIUD8m92ixnhWp09sXE6WE1iKh6WsBalt_Vv-EVIb_A1jtzK2n9nkG7-VkTQnabIaAMFn5NyW0mpIMUQA

One on the left is the counterfeit. One on the right is how every other blu-ray looks.

Caporegime
OP
They ask for photos, if it's obvious you get a refund, your choice to keep or destroy the item. Happened with when I recd a counterfeit jacket.

If the counterfeit isn't obvious in the photos, they ask you to post it to them for inspection - they pay for postage.

After telling the seller I was just going to go to Ebay he's refunded me.
Apparently his supplier just refunded him after my pictures.

Obviously a lie, but his response confirms that they are indeed counterfeit.

Soldato
After telling the seller I was just going to go to Ebay he's refunded me.
Apparently his supplier just refunded him after my pictures.

Obviously a lie, but his response confirms that they are indeed counterfeit.

Still file a complaint with eBay otherwise he'll just carry on selling them and some other poor sod will get lumped with a fake.

Caporegime
Would be cheaper to get HBO for a month.

You will get a result but it will take ages.

I got ripped off from China and they told me to return it at my own cost, the cost of the item, around 15 quid.

It's the perfect scam. I'd have to pay 15 to get 15 back. The eBay guy said he could see 100s of these transactions on his account too, but wouldn't or couldn't do anything but tell me to return it and open a claim.... Bs it takes months for nothing.

Caporegime
Add him as a watched seller (perhaps with email notifcation of his new listings) to keep an eye of what he lists. If he keeps listing similar items then he's not learned the error of his ways and you may wish to report the listings to ebay...just in case your one issue doesn't strike him off ebay

I speak on behalf of many when I extend my deepest gratitude to you and your army of voluntary internet policemen, saving our ebay deals one by one. Thank you kind sir, Merry Christmas.

Pet Northerner
Don
Would be cheaper to get HBO for a month.

You will get a result but it will take ages.

I got ripped off from China and they told me to return it at my own cost, the cost of the item, around 15 quid.

It's the perfect scam. I'd have to pay 15 to get 15 back. The eBay guy said he could see 100s of these transactions on his account too, but wouldn't or couldn't do anything but tell me to return it and open a claim.... Bs it takes months for nothing.

you tell them it's illegal to ship known counterfeits and paypal side with you :)

Soldato
Most DVD/blurays are fake on eBay last time I looked it was quite an effort to find a genuine example. "Asian Import" was the go-to phrase back then not sure what they're called these days.

Soldato
I remember the good old days flogging counterfeit copies of Windows XP, Photoshop CS and Office 2003 on eBay. I was forever visiting the local market every few weeks for a cheap 100 disc spindle of CDs and jiffy envelopes, made a right killing and kept me in spendies through college. :p

The thing was that most people knew what they were buying, only got the odd person who would scream fake but I would promptly refund them just to shut them up. Doubt you could get away with it now.

Soldato
I think eBay unfairly gets a bad rep for counterfeit items. I have made many purchases including very high end items including a Ferrari! And never had any problems whatsoever.

benedetto-bufalino-transforms-an-old-car-into-a-cardboard-ferrari-designboom-23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom