How do I clean the dye out of this EK GPU block?

Soldato
Bought this off the MM and foolishly assumed it would be fine and when I finally opened it I realised it was badly stained.

If I could take the thing apart I'm sure it would clean up fine but for some mental reason EK has given you access to all the screws but glued it together with the black strip on the left so thats out.

I'm currently running a tiny loop with water to try and rinse it but it's not working.

I did have designs on mounting it vertically but firstly I'm not planning to use pink and secondly even if I was I wouldn't want this level of leakage.

Any ideas?

ErJJpB0.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'd read that.

Really stupid, I actually took all the screws out and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come apart because it assumed it would!

Soldato
OP
Not sure that's going to work because the strip is metal but I might give it a go..

2 other alternatives are to use pink liquid which wouldn't be my first choice, or pull the strip off altogether because it just houses LEDs..

3rd, buy a new one and live with it.

4th... mount it horizontally like every other build I've ever done and forget about it.

Soldato
OP
Ha yeah... This will be my first custom build for getting on for 10 years.. I was looking back yesterday at some of the heath robinson nonsense we had to get into in the mid 00s when I was doing all my experimenting...

In a time before compression fittings when cable clips, zip ties and PTFE tape were the norm.

Soldato
OP
remove the screws that you can get to, to allow a cleaning solution to get to it a bit more easily. Perhaps a bleach solution would remove the colour. Don't forget to soak the block in clean water to remove bleach remaining.

Sadly I tried that and it made no difference...

Soldato
OP
Well the quick answer to hearing it is no. I left it on a radiator to the point where it was slightly uncomfortable to touch and it did make it look like I could remove the strip but given its metal it would definitely still bend in the process.

So 2 options... Horizontal mount or take the RGB strip off and never put it back on.

Or buy another which is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom