How do I find out what version of OSX an application supports ?

Associate
First please excuse my ignorance, I am from the PC section of the forum and rarely venture so far from home.
I don't yet have a mac or access to one.

I have an app to control a camera. However the small company shut down a few years back. There is 0 documentation online, even the wayback machine fails.
I can only find references to it requiring El Capitan.

My intention is to buy some kind of mac to allow me to use the camera, however I don't want to get something that may not be compatible. I have read that OSX doesn't support 32bit apps any more, nor know if the app is 32 or 64bit. And have no idea how the M1/M2 chips work with software that was written for intel chips.

Is there a way to find out, via inspection of the app, or is there some tool I can use so I may find out if it may open/run?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Man of Honour
As I said in my PM, I would not waste any money on an Intel Mac unless it's bargain basement, but if it's old enough to support 32 bit apps then it likely won't get any security updates etc.

Soldato
The first thing I'd be wondering is whether it'll actually work at all, no matter what Mac.

What exactly is said camera?
I'm wondering if there's a cloud based element somewhere which is falling over if the mothership has gone.

If you post the model number of the thing can do a little more digging....

Back
Top Bottom