How do I fix noisy PS4 ?

Soldato
How do I fix noisy PS4 ?

I have a ps4 works fine but sounds like a airplane taking off, how do I fix this ?
Ive cleaned the fan once, it no longer overheats but its not much better,

Associate
Cleaning the internals and replacing thermal paste has reduced the overall thermal temps which reduce fans kicking in sooner to help keep temp down and noise. This was on a original PS4 though, if you have original PS4 and you decide to do it then be careful with the eject button.
There are plenty of nice video guide on Youtube to disassemble the Ps4.

I haz 4090!
Don
Did exactly this to my original PS4 Pro - made pretty much zero difference.

Just turn your speakers up OP - or wait until Autumn/Winter and the lower ambient temps :p

I had the same thing. Replaced the thermal paste with thermal grizzly and it did make a difference, but nothing mind blowing. I took it apart again and replaced the thermal pads with thermal grizzly ones though, and it's night and day from what it used to be. Honestly sounds like a brand new console. Give that a try!

Associate
Yeah I think an Xbox is next in all seriousness, I got through two ps3s because of heat issues and now my PS4 sounds like an Airbus A380 in my room.

Soldato
OP
Did exactly this to my original PS4 Pro - made pretty much zero difference.

Just turn your speakers up OP - or wait until Autumn/Winter and the lower ambient temps :p
I dont think it would get much better in the winter. it would still be taking off.

Mine was noisy. I haven't switched it on in 18 months. Doesn't bother me now :)
Im not the only one who plays it so I wont have much choice of not turning it on.

Cleaning the internals and replacing thermal paste has reduced the overall thermal temps which reduce fans kicking in sooner to help keep temp down and noise. This was on a original PS4 though, if you have original PS4 and you decide to do it then be careful with the eject button.
There are plenty of nice video guide on Youtube to disassemble the Ps4.
Thanks I think it is a original PS4, Ive given the fan a good clean a few weeks ago just removing the cover, I never removed the power pack or removed the fan to re apply paste, I never dismantled anything when cleaning it.hoping it would fix it.

I had the same thing. Replaced the thermal paste with thermal grizzly and it did make a difference, but nothing mind blowing. I took it apart again and replaced the thermal pads with thermal grizzly ones though, and it's night and day from what it used to be. Honestly sounds like a brand new console. Give that a try!
Ill try applying paste and see if that helps, is it the same as a PC or should I be aware of any problems to look out for ?

Buy an xbox? :p

No seriously - When you did the cleaning did you take the motherboard out to get to the heatsink (ie full strip?) Or just the normal psu / fan clean?
I just cleaned the fan nothing else.

Yeah I think an Xbox is next in all seriousness, I got through two ps3s because of heat issues and now my PS4 sounds like an Airbus A380 in my room.
I feal the sane was sometime, I can hear it in the other room, I may just sick wings on it and see if it takes off.

Soldato
How do I fix noisy PS4 ?

I have a ps4 works fine but sounds like a airplane taking off, how do I fix this ?

PS4s are just quite noisy for many people, I replaced the thermal paste on mine and all it meant was it took a bit longer to get noisy. XB1X is near silent by comparison.

Best advice I can offer is to either use headphones or turn up the volume, my PS4 Pro can get loud enough that it's audible even with headphones on but there are enough exclusives to put up with the minor annoyance.

Associate
I've not done the thermal paste on my Pro, but I've taken it to bits (PSU out) and thoroughly cleaned it out twice in the past year, makes a huge difference to noise levels, for a while, but it's not difficult or time consuming when you know what to do. As mentioned my X1BX is almost silent. I do prefer the PS4 to the XB. It's going to run hot with the weather atm.

Associate
On my pro I replaced the paste and the pads and it made a big difference. Still quite noisy in places (Map screen in God of War!), but much better than it was.

My daughter has a 1st gen ps4, which was incredibly noisy. Replacing the paste and pads made little difference. So I bought a nidec fan to replace the delta fan and you can hardly hear it now.

Just my experience, YMMV :)

Soldato
How do I fix noisy PS4 ?

Get some compressed air and blast the dust out of the heat sink, if that does not help then you will need to apply some thermal paste.

Soldato
Theres a full strip to do to get below the motherboard as just psu and fan clean doesent provide a deep clean. There will still be plenty of dust inside and that increases operating temps and therefore the fan ramps up.

Google some vids if your confident enough to tackle it. Plus replace thermal paste etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
Theres a full strip to do to get below the motherboard as just psu and fan clean doesent provide a deep clean. There will still be plenty of dust inside and that increases operating temps and therefore the fan ramps up.

Google some vids if your confident enough to tackle it. Plus replace thermal paste etc.

The weirdest thing is my 1200c model is still whisper quiet from Christmas 2015. Nor has it been opened up, well apart from the hard drive area. It has had silly amounts of game time.

Back
Top Bottom