How do I install Fedora theme?

Soldato
OP
What DE do you have installed? Search for 'Appearance', and if it's not there you can use Gnome Tweak Tool to change the theme.

Gnome.

I installed the tweak tool but the theme wasn't present.

Some people say it needs to be extracted in to ~/ but I would have thought that the install should cover that as standard otherwise no point installing from repo.

Soldato
OP
These are the instructions:

Installation
Manual installation
  1. Download and uncompress the zip file.
  2. Move "Flat Remix" folder to ".icons" in your home directory.
  3. Select "Flat Remix" as icon theme via distribution specific tweaktool.
Terminal installation
cd /tmp && rm -rf flat-remix &&
git clone https://github.com/daniruiz/flat-remix &&
mkdir -p ~/.icons && cp -r flat-remix/Flat-Remix* ~/.icons/ &&
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme "Flat-Remix"

Ubuntu based distributions
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daniruiz/flat-remix
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flat-remix

Fedora based distributions
sudo dnf copr enable daniruiz/flat-remix
sudo dnf install flat-remix

I obviously did the Fedora part then install gnome-tweak tool. But the themes weren't present.

Soldato
OP
There are these instructions which I guess I can try.

Thing is I am OCD about these kinda things. I will use a theme if it comes bundled with the OS but downloading a custom theme and skinning the OS myself makes me OCD tingle. (performance/security/future to break stuff during OS updates.)

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the double post, but you'll like it. I found your issue - you didn't install everything. I added your copr repo and installed flat-remix as per your OP. Then I got to thinking 'Hold on, flat-remix-WHAT? Icons? Theme? Widgets?'.... So I did a dnf search flat-remix, and I got results for flat-remix, flat-remix-gtk and flat-remix-gnome. I installed those too, and ta daaa.

2LM6V3y.png

Have fun young Sir. ;)

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it ago!

Soldato
OP
Glad you got it fixed. Sorry, ignore the Arc Dark part - that was me playing with a different theme. In your case just follow my second screenshot. You want Flat-Remix-GTK(-Dark) for 'Applications' and Flat-Remix(-Dark) for Icons.

Papirus is just as good. Makes it look like the same theme as PopOS or similar.

Is this your go to theme?

What I like about it actually if I had the rpmfusion repo already installed so it was an easy install.

Is this theme maintained?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the Papirus icon theme is in the core Fedora repos, as is the Arc theme. Their package page says it was last updated three months ago (recent, for an icon pack). They also have the actual PopOS pop icon theme if you want to play with that, too. It (PopOS' theme) was based on papirus and paper, so your observations would make sense.

So these themes are available through the addition of the rpmfusion repo or they are actually repos from Fedora?

Back
Top Bottom