How do people handle their drink?

Soldato
I find it varies hugely and can never understand why.

Firstly - I don't drink often as I quite like staying fit and healthy and so try to limit my alcohol consumption.

I find that 70-80% of the time I can drink about the same amount. Around 6 pints of light beer gets me more chatty and out-going but doesn't change my personality or make me go crazy. That's enough for me. I can wake up at 8am the next day and go play Squash at 9am and not worry about feeling crap but still enjoy my night.

However, sometimes it varies massively. I've once had a night where I've sat and drank a 70cl bottle of Scotch (neat) and then walked home completely sober. Not 1 missed step or sway then up at 8am - no headache, no hangover to be seen. It's only happened once and it freaked me out...I mean that amount should have floored me twice over yet it was as if I hadn't touched a drop. Freaky.

Then another time I have 3 pints and wake up in the morning with a headache for 5-6 hours somehow.

Think it's a combination of last few days diet, fitness, mood etc which is why its usually fixed, but sometimes varies a lot.

I struggle to get drunk enough to dance around on lager though. Get sick before getting that drunk. But again, my personality is more based around my surroundings than the quantity of alcohol. In your typical town bars I'm never going to be getting drunk and dancing as the people and the music annoys me too much.
But last year I made my mates come to one of my nights out - went to see XP8 live and I was dancing around the whole bar by myself just because i felt comfortable there. So I guess alcohol effects me less if the surroundings don't appeal to me.

I've had nights where I feel really drunk, got to a bar full of morons then instantly sobered up and got a taxi home. haha

Last edited:
Soldato
I once did an experiment where I drank a pint of water after every pint of cider. Had about 5 pints of each.

I woke up with the worst hangover ever. I think the hydration thing is overrated...

Associate
I don't drink lots anymore, hangovers floor me :( :(

I don't usually get them, but when I do it's more the case I'm waking up still partially wasted and the hangover doesnt kickin until mid day, they suck because you know whats coming and there is nothing you can do about it. (Unless it's the weekend in which case you stay in bed of course.)

Otherwise I never really wake up with a hangover as such.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't tend to get hangovers, but I always make sure I eat before sleeping and have a couple of pints of water.

Doesn't seem to matter how drunk I get I can be completely out of it, nothing messes up my routine and it works a charm

Soldato
Try different drinks, I can only manage 2/3 pints of lager/beer before feeling smashed and bloated. But I can drink as much cider and whisky as I like and feel fine.

Soldato
I don't usually get them, but when I do it's more the case I'm waking up still partially wasted and the hangover doesnt kickin until mid day, they suck because you know whats coming and there is nothing you can do about it. (Unless it's the weekend in which case you stay in bed of course.)

Otherwise I never really wake up with a hangover as such.

Ditto.

When I was boozing before, I would always finish it off with a healthy portion of greesy food which I'm sure helped. I also drank a lot less non-alcoholic drinks in general back then, so I was probably a lot more used to the de-hydration side of a hangover.

Man of Honour
Think I drank six times last year and the most I drank was four bottles of lager at a party, having to stay upright on my legs makes getting drunk a stupid idea for me. I don't miss it though, can't fathom for the life of me how I drank what I did when I was younger.

Associate
I fear I've developed a beer/lager intolerance recently. My nights out tend to be pretty consistent on what I drink, in the 5-7 beers range. Sometimes I'll wake up fine, other times I will be wishing for deaths sweet release the next day.

Friday past there as an example, had dinner before going out, drank water when out, got a Chinese after with more water. Consumed all night a max 6-7 bottles of beer. I would say I felt mildly merry at best the whole night, not drunk. Got dropped off by taxi in town and walked about 15 minutes home, feeling fine.
Woke up in the middle of the night feeling like death and didn't really sleep, vomited many times across the day, last one being just before midnight on Saturday!!

Trouble is I don't really like anything except beer :(

Associate
Drink most evenings after work, sometimes 1, sometimes 8, but very rarely get staggery or slurry. Hangovers don't really matter, as I never start work til 5:30pm, and most days are at 7:30pm, so I'm usually over it by then :p

Caporegime
Drink most evenings after work, sometimes 1, sometimes 8, but very rarely get staggery or slurry. Hangovers don't really matter, as I never start work til 5:30pm, and most days are at 7:30pm, so I'm usually over it by then :p

8 drinks is about a fiver in our money over there though right? :D

Edit: Nvm I read your location as Thailand for some reason.

Associate
If I'm getting them from 7/11, 8 beers would be...£6.50. In a bar it'd be £16, so obviously I don't do that every day :p

Soldato
Not well at all, even If I have a meal, some milk etc, then an hour later drink say, 3 pints, start feeling it. Haven't drunk for 4 years and don't plan going back.

Caporegime
I once did an experiment where I drank a pint of water after every pint of cider. Had about 5 pints of each.

I woke up with the worst hangover ever. I think the hydration thing is overrated...

It is, you don't get a hangover because you're a little short of water. Drinking water does nothing to address the central effects of drinking alcohol and the production of toxic substances like acetaldehyde. And what do people think pints are? 95% water that's what, that's a massive consumption of water in an evening.

Last edited:
Soldato
See I drink very rarely. Less than 5 times a year. I don't drink at home, only when I go out, which is stupidly rare these days, and even when I do, I try not to get drunk, as I usually want to be able to function the next day.

Until October, when I went out for my birthday, I couldn't even remember the last time I was "drunk". Must be over five years ago. Fortunately I got off very lightly with the hang over, considering I drank about twice what I'd call "my limit".

Drunk me is just me, a bit more chatty, with slower reactions. I don't dance, I don't sing, I don't get loud or violent, or generally more fun.

That said, I have friends that get loud, start singing and acting stupid when they drink (18 pints is not unusual for them on a session) and I can't stand to be around them when I'm stone cold sober.

Soldato
4 has been about my limit for 20+ years. anything more than foot/hand tapping or minor head nodding to any music is just umm... silly.

what's this "acetaldehyde" stuff? something acidic? hangover? pint of milk?

Back
Top Bottom