How do these sound?

Associate
Hi Everyone. I got given an Amd Athlon 2000+ for free and I dont know if it works...

Anyway, I'd like to set up a budget system with it and i have everything except for MOBO, RAM, CPU COOLER and a power supply with a 12V 4 Pin connector. (Hopefully the CPU works)

I'm on a quite a tight budget..

How do you think these components sound?

MSI KT6-V SKT A AGP 5.1channel audio ATX

EB*Y*R 256MB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram Memory Module

Casecom 300W ATX Power Supply

Akasa Carnival Cooler 8cm Lo-noise Amd 3400+ Air Cool

In the case there will also be a 20gb HDD, a Geforce 5700LE 256mb gfx card, a CD-RW and a couple of case fans...

Do these sound ok?

Also does anyone know about overclocking this CPU the sticker on it says..

AMD Athlon
XDA2000DKT3C 9187726260016
AIUGA 0240RPBW 1999 AMD

Thanks a lot!

That stuff should be fine - at a quick glance.

The CPU is a Thoroughbred core, which generally overclock well. If the same numbering system applies here as with a 2500 barton, then this CPU is downgraded from a 2600. This means that during factory testing, the CPU was unstable at the speed it was designed for (2600) at stock volts, so it was sold as a CPU with a lower clock speed. This can be told by these numbers for people who are interested...

Some CPUs are upgraded, some are downgraded during testing. So, for you, this means that it should clock nicely (at least to 2600 speeds) with only a small VCore increase for stability.

Holy!!! thats excelent! Lol

Can anyone confirm this?

I just hope it works because i basically found it in a box of stuff at school and asked for it.

Last edited:
From the code it does appear to be a downgraded XP2600 yep...but unfortunately it seems to be a T'bred A core (AIUGA) - these usually top out at 2000MHz or so but there's still room for a small overclock no doubt. It was the Tbred B's (such like AIUHB) that would clock behond 2200MHz.

The good thing is that Im quite sure the mobo can do between 166 and 200FSB even if though it wont have an PCI/AGP lock and you've got PC3200 RAM in there and the processor should be unlocked so even if it fails to clock well you can always lower that multiplier and top the FSB up to get extra speed from it.

Nice one on getting that rig for free! still pretty decent parts.

Last edited:
You'll probably at a bit of a tricky one there,, as the 12.5x166 is just behond what most T'bred A's will do and this is when the 1/5 PCI divider kicks in but if you lower the multi to say 12 and go for a 166FSB it could well be stable. I reckon it'll top out for maximum stability at around 2000MHz, but maybe slightly more or less, depending on the chip.

Ventilated said:
Cool :D Whats 2000Mhz equiv too?

XP2400 runs at 15x133=2000 but since this has a lower FSB and you have a good chance of getting a faster FSB it could be equivilent to between an XP2500 and XP2600.

Ventilated said:
Ideal lol :D Will that cooler be ok?

Yup, should keep it pretty cool for overclocking...upto XP3400 if one exists. Copperbase and the 80mm fan and that as well as the low default vcore of the tbreds of 1.5v at stock it'll probably run at 40-45c and oc'd probably 50c (if you up the vcore more than 0.2v imo) if the case is cool too. I read the cooler has an adjustable speed on the fan so at full blast you could be looking at lower than i've written.

Last edited:
Ventilated said:
Lol. Im gonna order the stuff tommoro.. I hope the Cpu works :P

If it dosnt how much do you think I could get one for?

I sold a XP2100+ Tbred B on an auction site the other week for £33.74 so around 30-35 quid. That board can take at least an XP2800 though....if you can find a cheap XP2500-mobile (sold one on auction for 43 quid) but most tend to go for 50-60 that i've seen. that would be ideal for great overclocking potential.

ideal...mobile bartons tend to clock to at least 2.35ghz (i had one of the worst ever i think) Good ones can do 2.6GHz, even on air but more than that and you would probably looking at delta fans or water cooling or more unless it was a great chip.

It should do, but I wouldn't want to put that much more on it. When you have it set up (if it works :)) then download OCCT. This will give you graphs of the VCore etc when the CPU is being stressed and show you if there are any fluctuations. I've never tried it with Socket A but I assume that it works ... anybody?

If the CPU doesn't work, don't get an XP 3200. Get a Mobile 2500 Barton, which will clock to those speeds easily. These are far cheaper.

Probably between 40 and 65 quid depending on how well it clocks and the voltage that went through it, but A.N.Other is right, don't get an XP3200 -they're priced sky high and don't overclock well...the mobile bartons overclock effortlessly to XP3200 speeds for much less money/way behond in most cases, and the stock vcore is much lower.

Back
Top Bottom