How do you feel about buying second hand components?

Caporegime
im always buying bits and pieces 2nd hand. what i do is work out if its worth buying 2nd hand vs the warranty. for eg if i can get a 1tb hd with 2/3 years on why would i buy a 1tb hard drive 2nd hand for £10 less. so do that with most parts unless its a very small budget pc.

warranty is mainly the reason to buy new.

Associate
im always buying bits and pieces 2nd hand. what i do is work out if its worth buying 2nd hand vs the warranty. for eg if i can get a 1tb hd with 2/3 years on why would i buy a 1tb hard drive 2nd hand for £10 less. so do that with most parts unless its a very small budget pc.

warranty is mainly the reason to buy new.
I bought a 1TB HDD (manufactured in April 2017) for £23 from ebay which had 2.5 years warranty on it. I've registered the item for warranty and all is well. :)

Caporegime
yeah it is nice when it works out.i just brought a brand new one with 3 years on from ocuk with 3 years on for £38.thats the thing you have to way up what its worth.is it worth the hassle or peice of mind for on some items a small difference.

Associate
It depends what I'm buying. I bought my Oculus Rift 2nd hand because I wasn't sure about dropping £400 at the time on something that I might not get much use out of.

I paid a little over half of that for the Rift and got a headset in great condition that I enjoy using. I'd have probably paid full price and been happy but I felt it was a risk worth taking.

Generally I'd only buy second hand if it meant I was able to get something that I just couldn't afford brand new.

The problem with PC components is that you're probably getting something that is out dated and a brand new part is likely going to match the performance AND the price.

Take a GTX 980Ti compared with a GTX 1070. They're very close in performance and I'm not sure of the pricing right now but I'd guess there's not much in it. Not enough for me anyway to go second hand when I can have new.

It all depends on the individual product, the age and the pricing.

Soldato
Fine with it, as long as the saving is good enough. Bought my 290 used, served me well for 2 years and is still going in another machine. Price has to be right though, not buying used for only a small amount less than new.

Associate
No problem here, currently running a B-Grade 7950 I bought from OCUK around 2 and a bit years ago, still serving me well. GFs PC made from 90% second hand parts with no issues either. I do love taking shrink wrap and protective stickers off new products too though :3 Don't think I'd buy a 2nd hand PSU though.

Soldato
Had a few issues buying second hand memory but that was sorted out in the end (in my favour actually) but other than that I've mostly had entire second hand systems rather than individual components. In fact looking around me now there is the Mac Mini I'm typing this on, a Deff SFF i5 PC running Ubuntu and a HP Gen8 Microserver all of which were second hand when I bought them.

Associate
I've had no problem buying second hand (touch wood)

Recently I have bought a GTX 1070, some Ram and a SSD and saved quite a bit doing so.

Got the 1070 for £265 a couple of months ago so I was pleased with that :)

Like others said if the savings there I'll go second hand. GPU wise I think I'll always go secondhand because you can £100+ off the retail price most of the time.

Associate
As a rule, i don't buy second hand power supplies. Why risk blowing a motherboard or system?

B Grade motherboards from OcUK have all been good, so far anyway.

Everything else is up for grabs, depending on price ofc.

Associate
I don't usually buy second hand because I upgrade infrequently and when I do I generally go for the latest version just out.

As an example I upgraded my graphics card to a rx480 just after they came out. Can't even remember what it was before that! Wouldn't buy second hand hard drives, but anything other than that would be fine.

Soldato
Only from the MM :D

If seller has receipts, even better as even if stuff does go wrong, you can claim under the extended manufacturers warranty where applicable.

As already pointed out though, the saving has to be relative to the potential for failure, not the fault of the seller, more that components are more liable to break down the older they are.

Associate
Bought quite a few parts off the bay over the years, and no problems yet, touch wood. My 3-year old 3570k came used off the bay after I killed the previous one trying to delid :( that one too came off the bay used, and both have been perfect, running at 4.4 or so.

Back
Top Bottom