How do you find out the strain of a PSU?

Soldato
Is there anyway you can find out if the PSU is struggling?

I've got a Levicom 420W powering 3HDs, Athlon 64 3500+, 7800GTX, 2 DVD drives, 4 fans... (and soon to be UV cathode and 2 more fans)

You can choose an online calculator such as this one http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
and see what sort of load your system will be creating roughly. Another good thing to do is to monitor the rails of your system, if you have an Asus motherboard then use their PC Probe utility otherwise something like Motherboard Monitor should do the trick and see if there are any major fluctuations.

WatchTower said:
That can't be right it said I needed a 175watt PSU. lol

Well if your signature is correct and you don't have a CPU..... ;)

Mine comes out about 285w and that seems about right, I've got a 400w PSU which is more than comfortable with the load :)

//edit if you do it without any CPU then a figure of around 175w is quite possible.

I'm not convinced its very accurate, as it says I need a 483w PSU, when the shuttle everythings in only has a 350w supply, and works perfectly well.

I think it's pretty generous with it's power ratings - probably goes to the absolute max of an component, and then adds a bit extra.

Plus I really wouldn't forsee a situation where everything in your case is using 100% load.

Back
Top Bottom