How do you pay for upgrades/builds?

Soldato
Coming up for an upgrade and will be paying on credit card for the protection but pay it off when the statement bill is due.

Soldato
Take it out of disposeable savings... indirectly.

I put aside money each month from interest and any unspent / unsaved cash. I buy the items on my credit card (I buy everything in credit card for the cash back) and pay it off via direct debit at the end of the month.

I then top my bank account back up to the interest earning limit from said disposeable savings and if there's anything left that's kept for the next shiney shiney.

If I don't have enough for what I want I absorb it into next months pay check or wait until I have more saved.

The only time I take credit is when it's interest free or paid off in full before interest starts to be charged. Why buy something you can't afford?

Someone said they didn't do credit cards, I don't get this. If your only credit is a mortgage that's bad in this day and age. If you don't have a mortgage and don't use any credit, your rating must be awful.

Associate
I constantly upgrade so mostly it's small amounts of money. The only exception to that is when intel have changed their technology and I have to replace the mb, cpu and ram all as one. In that case I might well "save".

Soldato
Have all the cash saved before I spend on my credit card. Why would I spend my own when I can spend on the credit card and pay it off 56 days later?
I upgrade every 2-3 years so that my old parts still have some value and can recoup some of my spending, and I don't buy particularly high priced items. The most expensive would be the graphics card most of the time.

Associate
Recently built myself a full system. Everything bought in cash apart from GPU. Took GTX1080 in 3 monthly payments.
Only reason is I didnt want to wait a week untill I can purchase one so went along with 3 payments with 0 interest.

Suspended
Work out what I need to spend, from that work out how many eighths, grams or ounces I need to push and then hit the street corner.

Pay for it in cash with unmarked, non sequential bills.

Alternatively, decide what I want, put the word out on the street and pay for it in eighths, grams or ounces.

The type of item decides the mode of payment:
Equipment with many moving parts or higher complexity that require a warranty - for example a GPU, method 1

Things like cases, fans or peripherals, method 2

Associate
Someone said they didn't do credit cards, I don't get this. If your only credit is a mortgage that's bad in this day and age. If you don't have a mortgage and don't use any credit, your rating must be awful.
I use a credit card and don't really see a reason not to, but....

If you've no interest in buying anything on credit, your credit rating matters a lot less!

Associate
OP
In the past I've credit carded upgrades a lot and worried about how I'm paying for it later on. The desire to have a top tier PC has always been strong.

Maybe I'm slipping in my old age, but I just upgraded using only what I could afford and don't seem to care as much any more if it's not the best.

4790k seems to put me in the top 16% on 3dmark, so I can't really grumble at that.

Associate
Use my british airways credit card as i want the airmiles lol. Plus i get a free companion flight each year if doing over 10k on the card each year so good excuse to use it and take the Mrs away for free.

However it has a DD to pay off in full each month. Also offers protection when buying online. I purchase almost everything on credit card and it just gets paid off. Even my work expenses that are close to a grand a month on average.

Sometimes i use paypal credit too if they have a deal on but again always clear it monthly. But i would never buy a component i cannot afford. If your lousy with money or get tempted to overspend done use a credit card. When i was younger i was terrible with them always taking months to pay them off and paying interest.

Associate
Never in a rush to build, so it's easy.
Buy what I can be fussed to as & when & leave the rest of parts for whenever.
That or sell some current stuff to buy newer.

Man of Honour
None of the above - I don't really budget for upgrades, I just wait until I think there is a good deal to be had that will give me a decent upgrade and then jump on that. I've been waiting five years now... (excluding graphics card as I found a good deal in January, brand new RX480 8GB for under £150 delivered)

Back
Top Bottom