• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How does the RTX 3050 compare with the modern games consoles?

Well the series X CPU is roughly equivalent to a 3700X downclocked to 3.5 - 3.8Ghz. So the 12400 is probably faster.

The series X GPU is an rdna 2 GPU with 52 CUs at 1.8GHz. Which puts it somewhere between a RX 6700 and RX 6700XT so it's more powerful than the 3050.

The RTX 3050 is more powerful than the Series S GPU. An 12400 CPU is quite a bit faster than the octacore Zen 2 console CPUs. Unfortunately, these can't normally be overclocked.

That's right, the 6500 XT has slightly higher theoretical performance than the Series S GPU, who knows which performs better though.

Big caveat though, is 6500 XT has just 4GB VRAM.

I think Digital Foundry did some comparison testing when the Xbox series X came out and concluded that performance was similar to a 2070, so considerably faster than the 3050. Plus consoles tend to improve over time as devs get better at optimising the hardrware.

I think Digital Foundry did some comparison testing when the Xbox series X came out and concluded that performance was similar to a 2070, so considerably faster than the 3050. Plus consoles tend to improve over time as devs get better at optimising the hardrware.

Yea, I was just going to add that there was a recent one-year on video at DF (very long 90-minute discussion) where they made this point; that at PS4 launch in 2013 a Nvidia GeForce 750ti could keep up with launch games, but by 2021 was very much struggling against the optimisations the PS4 was running. Their video touches upon some of the performance of Series X|S & PS5 relative to PC with and without Ray Tracing.

Consoles are geared towards running 4K60 where as a 3050 is a 1080p so I would say roughly a third to a quarter of the performance (excluding things like ray tracing).
They can be geared all they want but they can't run 4k60fps. Next gen consoles are mostly 1440p60fps machines which is expected for the hardware they carry.

With DLSS and DLDSR a 3050 can keep up with Series X and Ps5.

They can be geared all they want but they can't run 4k60fps. Next gen consoles are mostly 1440p60fps machines which is expected for the hardware they carry.

With DLSS and DLDSR a 3050 can keep up with Series X and Ps5.

There are plenty of titles that run at 4k 60.

Using DLSS to ‘keep up’ with a SX or PS5 isn’t really viable in every scenario. The 3050 isn’t anywhere near as strong to either of them.

RTX 3050
Pixel Rate 56.86 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 142.2 GTexel/s
FP16 (half) performance 9.098 TFLOPS (1:1)
FP32 (float) performance 9.098 TFLOPS
FP64 (double) performance 142.2 GFLOPS (1:64)
Memory Bus 128 bit
Bandwidth 224.0 GB/s

Series X
Pixel Rate 116.8 GPixel/s
Texture Rate 379.6 GTexel/s
FP16 (half) performance 24.29 TFLOPS (2:1)
FP32 (float) performance 12.15 TFLOPS
FP64 (double) performance 759.2 GFLOPS (1:16)
Memory Bus 320 bit
Bandwidth 560.0 GB/s

PS5 & Series X are upscaling almost all the time to reach 4K in demanding titles, whether that's checkerboard, variable resolution or whatever. Console '4k' isn't really 4k.
The same is true of course, of PC DLSS & FSR etc - it's all just different upscaling techniques. Of course, there's nothing wrong with any of that, at all. They're all welcome techniques that have their place, let's just make sure we're comparing the same thing.
Despite the advantages of unified architecture & less system overhead on consoles (due to vastly more limited versatility), there's really not much magic that isn't avaialable on the PC side. BY FAR the most important factor on either platform is how well the developer has used the techniques available on the target platform to achieve good performance.
I played some Halo Infinite on my nephew's new Series S over xmas, plus a few other titles. I was pleasantly surprised by how capable it was. Not too bothered about what resolution it was running, it looked good on a normal HD telly.
I imagine an RTX 3050 will be equally capable when paired with a modern 6-core & a reasonable amount of system RAM.

PlayStation 5 120FPS Mode vs. PC 120FPS: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

That was a bit of a poor comparison as IIRC,the versions they used were not directly comparable:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The DMC5 test was done at 1080p on PC, the PS5 is running at 4K with image reconstruction (so probably around 1620p native). Not only that, the PS5 is running the DMC5 *Special Edition* which has better graphics settings.

Incredibly bad comparison by GN.

If Ryzen 3 3300X and a GTX1060 is faster(in their tests) than what is essentially a Ryzen 7 4700G/downclocked Ryzen 7 3700X and a dGPU which is quicker than a RX5700XT that means something is broken in their comparison. To put it in context an RX6600 non-XT obliterates a GTX1060,so the PS5 would easily do that. The XBox Series X is even quicker!

DF also showed that the original PS4 at launch could be "matched" by a GTX750TI,but it was quite clear the GPU was better,and over time the GTX750TI couldn't keep up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom