How fast is your Photoshop ?

Man of Honour
Many people out there still complain that Photoshop CS and CS2 are too slow at applying adjustments on large images, some say 7 is faster all round - maybe this is true, maybe CS and CS2 favour newer processors who knows!

Here's a small test to try (unashamed to steal this from a hardware forum :p)

Download This Photo and follow the below steps after loading it in your Photoshop version.

Open the Radial Blur dialogue (filters > blur > radial blur) and set:
Amount = 100
Blur Method = Spin
Quality = Best

Have a stopwatch handy to see how long it takes :)

I got 37secs using a x2 4200+ 2.2ghz/core on CS2 (2gb ram)

Last edited:
Associate
1 min 13 secs (a64 3200+ @ 2.3GHz). I generally find CS2 reasonably fast, can't complain considering how much calculation it must take to apply filters etc to big images.

Soldato
16.3seconds under WinXP-pro using CS2 for Windows.
16.9seconds under OSX using CS2 for Mac. (under Rosetta as CS2 is a PPC binary so im impressed)

Macpro dual-dualcore 2.66ghz, 4gb ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now here's a better test. Do a full days editing in photoshop and then see what result you get. I'm fairly sure PS does slow down to the point you need to close it and re-open it.

Soldato
cyKey said:
Now here's a better test. Do a full days editing in photoshop and then see what result you get. I'm fairly sure PS does slow down to the point you need to close it and re-open it.

I've noticed that in Elements , the longer you've had it open the more time it takes to load up new images . I've tried fiddling with the cache settings but it never makes any difference

Soldato
mrgubby said:
I've noticed that in Elements , the longer you've had it open the more time it takes to load up new images . I've tried fiddling with the cache settings but it never makes any difference

I get the same issue from time to time. Killing the program and reloading seems to fix it (sometimes).

Mine took 2 mins 15 seconds on my laptop!
Pentium M 1.86 - 1gb RAM
Edit: Photoshop CS2 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom