How good is an alienware m14x laptop ???

Associate
My friend is getting a gaming laptop and he wants to get alienware M14x R2.Is it good for runes of magic , bf3 and crysis 3 ?? ( i play all of these too haha)
Here are the specs:

PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M (3MB Cache, up to 3.2 GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit edit
MEMORY 6GB (1 X 2GB, 1 X 4GB) DDR3 at 1600MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s edit
VIDEO CARD 1 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™ edit
LCD PANEL 14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight edit
WIRELESS CARDS Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0 edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)

I think the 650M would be a bit sub-par for playing crysis 3, you'd have to turn down the settings.

Those ram sticks aren't matching, so probably won't be running dual channel.

I personally wouldn't spend that on a laptop, you could build a killer desktop for that!

Yeah the portability is needed . Can you suggest better for the same price. ??what about this Lenovo y500 ??:
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system: Windows 8 64
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
Memory: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
Display: 15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 RPM

Last edited:
i got the alienware m17x last year and after a few months i regretted it. Moved back to a desktop now. Theyre overpriced for what they are although the cooling is pretty good on them. He could probably find one the same spec for cheaper from another brand

Been looking at small laptops myself and last night i ended up buying the alienware m14x myself for a total of £1300. Got some good discount via some coupon codes on the internet but they expire at the end of the mth...in case someone is looking at buying one and wants it pretty cheap than what Dell are selling them for.

Anyhow specs are:

COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M14x Cosmic Black

PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

OPERATING SYSTEM English Windows® 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)

GRAPHICS CARD 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M

MEMORY 16384MB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

HARD DRIVE 128GB mSATA Boot Drive + 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s

LCD 14.1" WideHD+ (1600x900) WLED with TrueLife

OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-Ray ROM (Blu-Ray read only, DVD, CD, read and write)

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Came out to a grand total of £1458 but got an extra £150 off.

Quite looking forward to getting it, my old laptop which is 6 yrs old is slowly giving up the ghost so needed to get a new one asap.

Been looking at small laptops myself and last night i ended up buying the alienware m14x myself for a total of £1300. Got some good discount via some coupon codes on the internet but they expire at the end of the mth...in case someone is looking at buying one and wants it pretty cheap than what Dell are selling them for.

Anyhow specs are:

COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M14x Cosmic Black

PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

OPERATING SYSTEM English Windows® 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)

GRAPHICS CARD 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M

MEMORY 16384MB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

HARD DRIVE 128GB mSATA Boot Drive + 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s

LCD 14.1" WideHD+ (1600x900) WLED with TrueLife

OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-Ray ROM (Blu-Ray read only, DVD, CD, read and write)

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Came out to a grand total of £1458 but got an extra £150 off.

Quite looking forward to getting it, my old laptop which is 6 yrs old is slowly giving up the ghost so needed to get a new one asap.

Wow, i think you will be disappointed with the gaming performance

You have a great CPU in there with a terrible GPU. There is no point going above a 3630QM and 8GB of RAM with the low powered 650M.

You can get an 11" laptop with a 3630QM, 8GB RAM, 650M GPU for £500.

Last edited:
Im not looking for something to game on;)...i have an xbox360 for that;). So far from what i have read from reviews, gaming performance is pretty decent for a 14" laptop.

You have a great CPU in there with a terrible GPU. There is no point going above a 3630QM and 8GB of RAM with the low powered 650M.

You can get an 11" laptop with a 3630QM, 8GB RAM, 650M GPU for £500.

Exactly my point. I also have an Xbox and Playstation, however I also have a Lenovo Y500 with a 3630QM and GT650m. It's better graphically than both and cost £750 in comparison. The MX14 offers nothing over mine in terms of real value. It has a Ultrabay whereby I can add another GT650m for SLI/Bluray Drive.

MX14 is a ripoff and if you use your Xbox for gaming, I do not understand your purchase.

However your CPU will be well utilised for FSX if it's a game that you play :)

But each to there own enjoy mate :)

Exactly my point. I also have an Xbox and Playstation, however I also have a Lenovo Y500 with a 3630QM and GT650m. It's better graphically than both and cost £750 in comparison. The MX14 offers nothing over mine in terms of real value. It has a Ultrabay whereby I can add another GT650m for SLI/Bluray Drive.

MX14 is a ripoff and if you use your Xbox for gaming, I do not understand your purchase.

However your CPU will be well utilised for FSX if it's a game that you play :)

But each to there own enjoy mate :)

Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Anyhow am looking forward to getting it as it's been a long time since I got a laptop...the one I've been using has lasted me 6 yrs now and is still going strong but slowing down now.

Hopefully the next 2 weeks will fly by.

Nvidia 650 is possibly subpar but to be honest with it being a 720 display should run fine. I would look at other options though as a 14 inch screen might not be fun to play games on.

Nvidia 650 is possibly subpar but to be honest with it being a 720 display should run fine. I would look at other options though as a 14 inch screen might not be fun to play games on.

Yet again people dont seem to read posts do they lol.

I AM NOT using this laptop for any sort of gaming lol.

I get it....i could have gone for something cheaper and possibly higher specced but i didnt because tbqfh i like Dell and their laptops...i have an xps1210 laptop which was pretty high end when i bought it 6 yrs ago...the laptop is still running strong but needs to be replaced and ive had my eye on the alienware m14x for quite some time now.

Anyhow not going to cancel or anything, as far as im concerned i got it at a pretty good price when i originally specced it up, it was coming out to £1458.

I really dont care for the gaming performance in all honesty.

That's a great spec for such a small laptop. The only thing I would say, because it's an Alienware it is designed with portable gaming in mind and because of the premium label you do end up paying slightly more for it. But if you're happy then go for it! I'm using a 14" Lenovo with a Nvidia 610 and that can handle everything I care to throw at it (including a couple of games) so I'm sure a 650 will be quite sufficient for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom