How good is the SBZ headphone amp?

Soldato
Having just shelled out a fair chunk of change for some nice Shure 1540 headphones, I'm wondering if I'm getting full potential from them via the SBZ headphone jack?

Would it be worth buying an amp?

I was looking at the audioengine N22, which has speaker outputs and headphone jack. No optical in though unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback :)

I use my headphones for a mix of music and gaming really. I'm not sure if I'm even using the positional functionality though.

I was considering an amp capable of driving my 2020i's which I currently have downstairs. Thinking of buying some floor standers and moving the q acoustics upstairs for my pc.

I'd like a compact amp capable of driving the 2020i's and my headphones.

Soldato
OP
There just doesn't seem to be many such devices, which is a little odd.

The NAD D3020 looks good, but very expensive. Also maybe the Denon PMA-30/50 looks a possibility.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think the 2020i's are 70w? So maybe I do need something with more guts.

After doing a bit of research, it seems the NAD D3020 punches well above its specs and has plenty of power to drive a pair of 2020i's. However, it is above my budget unless I can bag one second hand.

Edit: What about the SMSL AD18? Quite a bit cheaper at around £120.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Speakers don't really have any power rating.
What they have is maximum power rating they can handle, before giving up the magic smoke.
How much power is actually needed depends lot on size of room and distance to speakers.
From close range in small room you don't need that much of watts for high volume, while speakers in big room need more power.

Very correct and put better than I could explain :)

I'll be using them in a small room and up close, so they won't need to be overly loud.

Soldato
OP
I have been measuring up my desk space and I probably do have enough room for a normal size amp, so I may go down this route :)

I'd get a much better unit for my money I would say.

Any suggestions? Must have optical in and a headphone jack. Preferably no more than £200.

Soldato
OP
I did prefer to go with a compact design for desktop use. A full size amp would look a little silly taking up all that desk space. The Audiolab gets great reviews and is currently half price. So I feel I'm getting decent value for money. The built in DAC and headphone amp are supposedly top notch too.

I was keeping an eye on eBay for second hand amps, but they were all going for two thirds of the price of a brand new superior product. So I just bought the Audiolab brand new instead.

Back
Top Bottom