• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How long are current RTX cards out for before replacement?

Soldato
This gen of RTX doesn't get me interested at all. Not nearly enough reserve power to run high details and ray tracing.

Plus exorbitant prices due to lack of competition from AMD.

When is the successor to the RTX 20** series meant to be released are we still thinking it's a short cycle release for 12 months or so?

Will it be a 7nm process?

Associate
Im shocked the prices havent budged. Really struggling to believe people are buying anything right now. All so terribly overpriced.

Hopefully AMD will come out with something least comparable to the RTX2080/gtx1080ti for a reasonable price (£400) by Q2.

Associate
I think all this talk about short release cycle is not going to materialise.

I would say 20 series is on at least a 2 year cycle. Everyone said because the ti came out early it was a short cycle but nv just released it early to charge more. Normally they would keep ti back to see what amd have and trump them but they knew there was nothing coming so released it early with high price tag.

Plus rtx has barely got off the ground yet - it needs more time. Another 20 months yet I reckon.

Associate
AMD is only going to be on 1080 performance with Navi in 2019. Nothing to compete with rtx 2080/2080ti. With Arcturus they may finally compete with 2080ti which is almost 2 years away. Nvidia isn’t being pressured in any way to come out with new cards so my guess is Q4 2020 before nvidia releases their next series. On a side note if they release an even faster GPU than 2080ti, those next gen cards will wipe out AMD from the market so it’s better this way.

Soldato
This gen of RTX doesn't get me interested at all. Not nearly enough reserve power to run high details and ray tracing.

Plus exorbitant prices due to lack of competition from AMD.

When is the successor to the RTX 20** series meant to be released are we still thinking it's a short cycle release for 12 months or so?

Will it be a 7nm process?

And NV's greed.

Soldato
Even if anyone had the answer they wouldn't be able to tell you due to NDA, and even then, NVIDIA plays everything so close to the chest that most won't know till the cards are ready.

Caporegime
Next GPUs definitely 7nm. Turing will last at least 12 months, Nvidia woudln't have released Turing if it was much less

Associate
It depends on AMD. The fact that nvidia released the 2080 and 2080ti at the same time rather than 6 months apart indicates they don't expect such a long timeline for the 20 series.

However, it will depend on AMD. If AMD cannot come close to 2080ti performance then nvidia have no reason to release anything any time soon. On the other hand, if by some miracle AMD release a Vega 2 that trades blows with the 2080ti then nvidia will likely release the 30 series in Q3 this year, even if it's only a refresh.

Soldato
Im shocked the prices havent budged. Really struggling to believe people are buying anything right now. All so terribly overpriced.

Hopefully AMD will come out with something least comparable to the RTX2080/gtx1080ti for a reasonable price (£400) by Q2.

Same thing happened with 980 Ti and 1080 Ti which was the same price as RTX 2080. I was very surprised many people bought 980 Ti and 1080 Ti at £649.99 blower card and £749+ for custom cards. Now both RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti bundle with 2 free games Battlefield V and Anthem worth £109.94 seemed very good deal. Both RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 bundle with 1 game Battlefield V or Anthem which is a good deal.

Caporegime
Releasing the Ti now, just so they can charge more, is guff, they released the Ti now, as its the only one faster than their old 1080 Ti.

Doubt they'd get many sales, with only offering a sidegrade, or a downgrade from Pascal :p

Although saying that, it is Nvidia :D

Associate
They will be here until 7nm is up and running and competition catches up.

It's quite clear that Nvidia are trying to copy Apple's lead with their consumer GPU products & pricing.

Soldato

Idiots were pre-ordering pairs of them before any benchmarks or real info was released, it's safe to say that there are enough daft folk to keep buying them and support the inflated prices.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They will be here until 7nm is up and running and competition catches up.

It's quite clear that Nvidia are trying to copy Apple's lead with their consumer GPU products & pricing.
It is not working anymore though. I think they finally went too far, kind of like Apple did actually and sales are slowing down as a result.

As I have mentioned many times. They need to go back to releasing Titan’s early and charging whatever they want for that. Milk the people with the money on those, then 6-9 months later reduced it by 1gb and release it as a xx80 Ti for £600-700 and everyone will be happy again. Charging 4 figures for a xx80 Ti is just not on.

Associate
It is not working anymore though. I think they finally went too far, kind of like Apple did actually and sales are slowing down as a result.

Well I'd suggest there are other factors too, if they'd halved the price then what happens to their excess stock of older parts and could they produce enough to satisfy the demand?

Clearly what they are aiming for is higher margins on less sales with a metric ton of BS to convince undecided gamers.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well I'd suggest there are other factors too, if they'd halved the price then what happens to their excess stock of older parts and could they produce enough to satisfy the demand?

Clearly what they are aiming for is higher margins on less sales with a metric ton of BS to convince undecided gamers.
True. I thought AMD was bad with the BS Kaduri was coming out with, but Jensen takes the cake with his past few presentations. At first I get caught up in the excitement of new tech, but later when I look back, it is very patronising the crap he comes out with.

End of the day we do not have enough data to make an accurate judgment regarding the situation on pricing. Though it is probably safe to say that if profits on the balance sheet keep going up, it means they are milking us more with higher margins.I just hope prices come back down a bit with 7nm as die sizes will likely be around half the size they are now. XX80 Ti needs to be a 3 figure sum at most.

Soldato
OP
I don't mind that the RTX 2080 is about as fast as a 1080Ti in traditional rasterisation, currently my oc'd 1080 is doing well at 3440*1440.

So if I wanted more power I'd now have to get a 2080 within what I am prepared to pay for a GPU, budget wise. I'd then get the included next gen features/tensor cores with it.
What I do mind is that then turning on RTX features on the few games that support it tanking my frame rate taking me down to like ~GTX 1060 equivalent rendering power, seems pointless.
Here' hoping driver optimisations aplenty occur.

Associate
What I do mind is that then turning on RTX features on the few games that support it tanking my frame rate taking me down to like ~GTX 1060 equivalent rendering power, seems pointless.
Here' hoping driver optimisations aplenty occur.
Hopefully DLSS will help with this, but I can see this needing numerous driver revisions before things are optimal. Be nice to see some more games released supporting RTRT and DLSS as well.

Back
Top Bottom