How long can you program for per day?

Man of Honour
Depends - if the code is flowing for want of a better way to put it I can easily spend all day at it though I try to take breaks regularly. I've never really had a problem with eye strain personally unless I'm over-tired. If things aren't working out code wise and/or I hit a mental roadblock I find it hard to sit at it for any length of time at all.

Permabanned
I'm a full time developer and I can happily code for a full working day every day - which is what you'd expect as it's the job.
I started wearing glasses around age 25-30 due to becoming short-sighted. I've used computers pretty much every waking hour since I was about 15.

I tend to deal with the larger/harder problems, and I've learnt I need to take a day or two before I start writing the code. I don't even think about the issue but somehow my brain comes up with a solution in the background. If I approach it like this I can usually write the whole solution in one sitting, with breaks only to sleep. If I don't take this time up front, I'll end up having to change things as I go and I'll mentally lose track of the changes I've made.

Man of Honour
I don't even think about the issue but somehow my brain comes up with a solution in the background. If I approach it like this I can usually write the whole solution in one sitting

I often find that.

It is an annoying one actually as my job is not a programming one but I often realise my brain has been hashing out ways to create solutions to work flow stuff - one time I even sat down and created a completely function proof of concept in an afternoon due to getting so frustrated with an ongoing need for a solution where I was working. Also while gaming I can't stop my mind subconsciously thinking about the kind of construction of code used to implement a given feature hah.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I tend to deal with the larger/harder problems, and I've learnt I need to take a day or two before I start writing the code.

Same here, I do a lot of database work and migrating from one database engine to another, so after reviewing the job, taking a couple of days to mull it over usually means by the time I sit down to do the work I have it all planned out and just have to plug it all into happen.

How many hours per day, do you have as set pattern everyday if your doing it full time, what about eye strain?

The last "really really big" job I did took 4-5 days, took powernaps but otherwise was flat out start to finish.

After that took several weeks off before even considering taking another job to prevent burnout. And a lot of sleep catchup :D

Soldato
Never really found eye strain to be a problem, but I have made sure to use a decent quality screen for the last 20 years. I think it would be a problem if I were still using the glowing green CRT terminals like 30 years ago. Additional things like a really good chair, proper posture, minimising distractions etc all help.

I don't like to code for more than 4-5 hours at a stretch as that seems to be my limit before I start making idiot mistakes. On physical health grounds I will try and force a break even more frequently than that though. Just getting up, moving around, making coffee, etc helps keep things fresh. I can still be thinking about code whilst taking a break, even if not writing it.

Last edited:
Associate
All day at work then a few hours in the evening quite frequently.

At times I spend all day on a Saturday and/or Sunday doing it too. Outside of working hours it's voluntary I add. Just enjoy it.

Never had eye strain or problems.

Associate
When I was working full time as a programmer I'd do 8 hours a day and several hours in the evening on my own stuff regularly. Obviously you'll need the odd short break but it probably depends on how much you enjoy it more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom