How long do your boots last?

Soldato
I got my current boots just over 2 years ago and they've already worn straight through their soles and are no longer waterproof. They are Richa Nomads and cost me £70.

The cost of my boots are a little on the cheaper side, but I'd say they're pretty average - I certainly didn't go cheap. The build quality is good and they're comfortable. However, as a commuter using them every day, my left boot has worn right through yet the rest of the boot could still last for years.

How do you combat that? There's no point going for a £300 Daytonas because they'll end up soleless after two years as well. I contacted sportsbikeshop and they said Daytona replace soles but how much would that cost me on top of my £300?

How long do your boots last year and what's the first thing to break on them? Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
My experience of Richa boots is that they're **** when it comes to lasting but so far are the only ones I've found that actually fit.

I've had mine about 18 months and they look like they've been to multiple war zones and haven't been waterproof for at least 12 of those months.

Caporegime
it depends on the make/model tbh its just finding one that lasts

rst ones lasted a few months before the sole holed through,aldi's own boots a bit longer and some spada ones about a year

best and longest lasting boots ive owned were a pair of sidi black rain,they must have lasted atleast 6 or 7 years with daily riding,so I saved a bit and bought me another pair few years ago and they are still going strong

first thing that goes on them for me is that the sole holes through/lets in water (esp the left gear change area of the sole)

Soldato
I've had my alpinestars smx6 goretex boots nearly 2 years and I've done well over 20k miles, probably nearer 25k. They've easily got another couple of years in them and the only thing that is wearing is the back part of the soles, they've never let in a drop of water.

They had to go back once to fix the ankle pivot, and they cleaned them when they did the repair (under warranty) but other than that I don't think I've ever cleaned them.

Caporegime
I imagine how long they last would depend on how often you use them, in what conditions, what sort of pegs/footrests you use, what your riding style is (how much you move/rotate your feet etc), and so on.

As for what we recommend, as above, gore-tex boots are good, but incredibly pricey. I personally think a good leather boot with armour would be your best bet as leather tends to wear very well, but then of course the weak spots are likely to be where the sole joins with the rest of the boot, and the fact that you would have to apply a wax layer every now and then so that it remains waterproof.

Caporegime
I've had my alpinestars smx6 goretex boots nearly 2 years and I've done well over 20k miles, probably nearer 25k. They've easily got another couple of years in them and the only thing that is wearing is the back part of the soles, they've never let in a drop of water.

They had to go back once to fix the ankle pivot, and they cleaned them when they did the repair (under warranty) but other than that I don't think I've ever cleaned them.

What was wrong with the ankle? I've got these boots and the ankle clicks. Not sure I can be f to send them back for it though.

I've only had them for a couple of months but they seem like really good boots. Very well made (mostly) and solid feeling, and they look good considering they're at the touring end of the spectrum.

Soldato
Ive still got some Richa Drifts that I use as my daily boots, they are about 3 years old now, still going, one of the zip pull ends has gone but I have replaced that.
Same with my Sidi Vertigo Corsas zip ends have gone and they look like they've done a few tours of Afghanistan but no holes yet, and they must be 6 years old, or older!

Soldato
first boots where sidi black rains but they wore out in like 2 years and where super uncomfy for me. My feet would sweat like crazy in the summer and they stopped being waterproof after the first winter.

2nd and current boots are Daytona roadstar GTX. They are about 4-5 years old and still going strong with plenty of life and sole left in them. They are just made so much better than most other motorbike boots :o They seem to stay much cooler in the summer but also warmer in the winter, a neat trick. Also still waterproof and I've battered them with constant commuting and a few euro trips.

Soldato
Over 20k and 6 or 7 years, paid roughly 80 quid. They were never really waterproof for more than 30 mins and they're still like that now. Time for a new pair any time now!

Last edited:
Associate
Ive still got some Richa Drifts that I use as my daily boots, they are about 3 years old now, still going, one of the zip pull ends has gone but I have replaced that.

I have the same boots, lasted me a year and a half or so and about 10k miles so far, no signs of giving up yet and still waterproof. I had RST Tractech boots before these but the Richa boots are a lot more comfortable.

Soldato
If you're wearing through the left sole then it sounds like you're putting your left foot down whilst the bike is still moving. Try only putting your foot down if you have to i.e. holding your balance at a standstill for as long as you can before putting your foot down. That way you get to practice your balance, potentially get away quicker from a standstill, and save your boots as you'll only be putting them down when the bike isn't moving.

Soldato
Alpinestar SuperTech's here, no idea how many 'miles' they have done but I've had them for about 6 years. Still in very good nick, a little wear on the sole and the gearchange pad but I used one of those 'Magic Eraser' sponge things on the plastic parts the other day and could not believe my eyes how well they came up. I also ordered new toe sliders and heel plates to give them a refresh and they look pretty damn good now. :cool:

Soldato
What was wrong with the ankle? I've got these boots and the ankle clicks. Not sure I can be f to send them back for it though.

I've only had them for a couple of months but they seem like really good boots. Very well made (mostly) and solid feeling, and they look good considering they're at the touring end of the spectrum.

On the outside of the ankle there's a large plastic piece that connects from the ankle up the boot, at the top of this is where it pivots - on my right boot it became 'unscrewed' so the plastic bit wasn't connected, I think the thread had failed. I bought them locally so my dealer sent them away to A* for a week or 2 and they came back fixed.

I've worn mine through 0 degrees in the winter, torrential rain, and 35 degree heat and my feet stay warm and comfortable, not sweaty or cold. Brilliant boots, and goretex all the way if you need to keep your feet dry.

Associate
Had HG touring things that lasted about four years before I got bored and bought some Triumph badged Alpine Star things. Taller and more rigid. The HGs are still fine though, waterproof and used when I want to walk about town, office etc. The new ones are about a year in and great so far.

Soldato
My Alpinestars SMX5s are approaching the 4 year mark, still in perfect working order with no issues. Zips, velcro and everything else is fine.

Some of the edging on the gear shift rubber protection areas are showing some wear but nothing other than cosmetic.

Don
My set of Sidi Vertebra are still going after 17 years despite going up the road at least 3 times. Had to replace the toe sliders a few times but other than that they are still good.

Back
Top Bottom