How long does a PSU last?

Soldato
I have a Cooler Master CM1000 Silent Pro (http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RS-A00-AMBA-J3/)

It's 1000w, bought back in July 2010.

Over the years it's powered everything from my old GTX470 SLI setup with watercooling to my current 1080Ti setup (in sig).

Obviously being 1000w it has no problem powering my current rig, probably not even breaking a sweat, however it is almost 8 years old and I have recently started leaving my PC on 24/7 mining (apart from while I game on it in the evenings). So right now I am at work, but my PC is on at home mining away with an 8 year old PSU inside.

Is it anything to worry about or should it be ok considering it was a very highly reviewed PSU back in the day and probably not even at 40% load?

Soldato
PSU lottery ?

It could last another 5 years or 1 month, who knows?

However if you are mining I would consider upgrading to a 80 Plus Gold PSU to get better efficiency, a 8 year old PSU will certainly have the potential to have lost efficiency

Soldato
It's a 'how long is a piece of string' question really.
Components quality, how hard a life it's had will play a part of course.
But ultimately impossible to put a date on it.

My hx620 was over specced when I bought it, so even at peak gaming which certainly isn't constant load, it's comfortably running under peak capacity.

Last edited:
Soldato
i would upgrade every 5 years max, don't want to risk psu damaging other pc parts, saying that corsair have a ten year warranty, so i've jusr RMA;'d with them

Soldato
i would upgrade every 5 years max, don't want to risk psu damaging other pc parts, saying that corsair have a ten year warranty, so i've jusr RMA;'d with them

Seems odd to me, part of buying a good psu is that there's protection built in, so the power supply should brick itself if something goes wrong.

Consumers taking the mick of generous RMA/warranty was a major factor in BFG going bust.
GPU 2.8 years old? Stick it in the microwave and get sent out a newer one. Free upgrade.

Soldato
Seems odd to me, part of buying a good psu is that there's protection built in, so the power supply should brick itself if something goes wrong.

Consumers taking the mick of generous RMA/warranty was a major factor in BFG going bust.

true, but unfortuantly my PSU ( rm850x) took my hdd with it

Soldato
OP
Hmm, food for thought.
Might change it, better safe than sorry. But at the same time, it's a good PSU and I see nowadays PSUs with 10 years warranty so it may have a good few years left in it.:confused:

Soldato
Had my Seasonic 1000w 6 years now and it's still chugging along, At work I see PSU's that have lasted 10 years before giving up and some only lasting several months or even arriving DOA, it's a lottery unfortunately but certain brands tend to last longer than others.

Soldato
I've got a Corsair HX520 that's been going over 10 years now. Still stable, silent with no coil whine at all :)

I did replace it with later ones over the years. One blew up and took a HDD with it (a newer Corsair), the other started to coil whine badly (Seasonic). So the 2nd time it went back in and stayed there. AFAIK it came with a 10 year warranty, which has only just expired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom