How long should bootup Memory check take?

Soldato
I upgraded my PC a while ago and noticed that it takes longer to boot.

When I turn on the PC the amber LED on the Motherboard which indicates memory check takes close to a minute, after that the rest iof the checks are done quickly and into windows in no time.

I heard that it can be slow depending on hardware but just wanted to check there's not an issue.

Hardware :

Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000MHz AMD Expo DDR5
Ryzen 7800X3D

Cheers

Associate
Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000MHz AMD Expo DDR5
With these at recommended timings on the RAM it will take around 60 seconds. (CTRL + ALT + DEL, Task Manager then go to "Start Up" and it will give you the boot time).

If you drop the memory timings to the non-overclocked values AKA don't select EXPO or anything like that, the boot time is reduced to 10 seconds.

Soldato
OP
With these at recommended timings on the RAM it will take around 60 seconds. (CTRL + ALT + DEL, Task Manager then go to "Start Up" and it will give you the boot time).

If you drop the memory timings to the non-overclocked values AKA don't select EXPO or anything like that, the boot time is reduced to 10 seconds.

Thanks it says last BIOS time 14.9 seconds

TBH I don't know much about this sort of thing so just loaded optimised setting option in the BIOS and thats what I got.

Associate
Running the same board with dominator platinum memory 2x 32gb sticks CL30 but with a 7950X3D, seems to be pretty much the same memory with a different design and the boot times without memory context restore enabled took ages even if restarting after it's been running for days, by the time you see the windows loading screen it's a good 30 to 50 secs. Why the hell does it need to train again even during a simple warm restart without turning the system off, cold boots from off is understandable but not for a system that's been running flawlessly for days.

I found it's best to turn on memory context restore in the memory settings and it's also hidden deep in the AMD settings, I found turning just the one on in memory settings was fine for a few restarts then it took ages again, once I turned on the one buried in the AMD settings its been fine. It's been about 3 weeks now and every reboot is extremely fast and I've had no issues whatsoever, 100% rock solid for me and it's been powered on 24/7 with plenty of gaming.

Best settings for me with that RAM was EXPO 1 with memory context restore on, cold boots from off and restarts are now extremely quick, from pressing the power button to seeing Windows load is just a few seconds. I found EXPO 2 worked great, never gave me issues in Windows but after a few reboots I found it hanged on BIOS posting for some reason even if just restarting with the post code reporting error 1A, haven't seen that error ever again with EXPO 1.

Last edited:
Associate
First one is (AI Tweaker, DRAM Timing Control, Memory Context Restore - Enabled)

Next one should be (Advanced, AMD CBS, UMC Common Options, DDR Options, DDR Memory Features, Memory Context Restore - Enable)

Hmmm will have to try this....any down sides to enabling it? As in is it one day just not going to boot and I will have flash bios or something?

Associate
Hmmm will have to try this....any down sides to enabling it? As in is it one day just not going to boot and I will have flash bios or something?
Shouldn't cause any issues as long as your system is already stable with the current memory. Some board vendors seem to enable this by default and some don't annoyingly.

All it does is stop the motherboard doing memory training on every single power up or restart which takes ages. Once memory training is done once all this setting does is save it so the board will use this everytime instead.

If you have any issues you can always just turn it off or reset the BIOS. My system has been powered on 24/7 for close to a month now without any issues. Done a few reboots during that time and every one has been instant.

Last edited:
Associate
Shouldn't cause any issues as long as your system is already stable with the current memory. Some board vendors seem to enable this by default and some don't annoyingly.

All it does is stop the motherboard doing memory training on every single power up or restart which takes ages. Once memory training is done once all this setting does is save it so the board will use this everytime instead.

If you have any issues you can always just turn it off or reset the BIOS. My system has been powered on 24/7 for close to a month now without any issues. Done a few reboots during that time and every one has been instant.

Cool cheers will update all after I test!

Back
Top Bottom