• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How low can I go? (PSU question)

Associate
So my insomnia finally paid off, and while browsing for a 7900 GRE at 2am I saw a 7900 XT Nitro+ for 8 quid new on a big retailer site (so I don't feel too guilty, listing was removed a couple of hours later), bought it and its on its way to me now.
So assuming its not a brick (will video me opening it just in case it is.. lol), I was wondering if I will be able to use it on my Thermaltake 630w PSU with a 5800x if I enable its silent/low power bios until I can get something better sorted? I don't really want to order a PSU ahead of time in case I do receive said brick :D

Cheers, guys, I assume its safe to power it on and check its fine, and then order a better PSU, any recommendations for around 100?

And yeah 8 quid (10 euros), clearly a pricing error, or I'm going to get a brick, or as my mates recon, a keychain of the GPU :D Lets see!

Dammit no updates to shipping just says it's been delayed indefinitely. Starting to think they realised their mistake and put a recall on the delivery, back to looking at 7900 GREs, at least I won't need a new PSU!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. My pc with a 65w locked 12600 non K and a 7900GRE will easily pull over 500w if you let the 7900GRE have all the power it wants. I have mine undervolted now and it's brought the GPU only power draw down to 200w or less depending on the game. Thermaltake hasn't sold a 630w psu for years, the last one being the Smart series and that was a terrible psu so just how old is that psu of yours? Most were also only 588w on the 12v rail which would be uncomfortably close to max power draw. I think you should budget for a decent psu as well.
Yup well determined, it's a Smart SE 630W.

That's a shame, I always rated Thermal Take, I guess they dropped off :( I do also have a 600ish watt Berlin model by them if that's better? (that's about 13 years old though)

Will take your advice and wait another month to do it all at once, my 1080 can take another month of abuse :D

"We have not found any shipments associated with your account. You can perform the search manually."

Seems they cancelled the delivery but surprised they just erased it's existence. Why do I get the feeling that getting my money back is going to be a massive pita!

Can you not log in and look at your order history on the retailer website you bought it from ?
I did it as a one time purchase, so I have an order confirmation, and the money taken from my account, but no "order history". It's not a huge amount of money anyway :)

If you wanna turn over an easy 50% profit, I'll offer £12 for it (inc. delivery) :p

P.S. @Mods - I know no sales talk outside the MM: I'm sure it's obvious enough, but I'm joking :)
Hah, honestly from experience UK house bricks are MILES better quality than Spanish ones!

"The shipment is being delivered.

07/22/24 | 07:39"

It's changed status, if it is a brick I feel I will have to incorporate it into my next pc build somehow :D

Yeah, it's really going to be an upgrade from my 1080gtx! Can anyone confirm if this is good enough?

Seasonic Focus GX-850 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular​

Back
Top Bottom