How much do I charge for a single web page for a business?

AJK

AJK

Associate
Depends on so many factors:

- What's actually required? Is it literally just a simple, single page with some text and maybe a logo on it? Or do they actually want a few pages, maybe with some images, perhaps some content they can update themselves, an email form, and social media feeds? (Amazing how "simple" means different things to clients!)

- What's provided for you? Have they given you a design, or any idea of a design? Will they give you images as needed or expect you to make it look pretty without - or find stock images for them? Have they even given you fonts or colours to use? Have they got a domain name and web hosting, or are you expected to provide and setup those as well?

- Your skills and their expectations. Do you have any web design/development experience at all? Is this job above or below your skill level? Is this a "mates rates" request where they're expecting you to do the job for a tenner (and give them the moon on a stick), or are their expectations a little more reasonable?

... and so on.

Hourly rate sounds good - if you know how much to charge. That's a factor of how much your time is worth to you, along with your experience in the field. As dfarrall said above, since you're asking here, you probably haven't done anything like this before? In which case you can't really command a massive hourly rate... but on the other hand, it will probably take you longer to accomplish anything, so your overall quote might end up roughly the same as someone who'll charge a higher rate but knock it out in an hour.

Assuming it's really a simple, single page with no dynamic elements (eg. contact forms, content management system, etc.), and that the business will provide a logo, some idea of a design (at least preferred colours and fonts), and any images that are required... I'd probably call it £50-60 plus the cost of any domain registration or web hosting that's required (which, remember, will be an ongoing cost). If, let's say, they actually want three or four pages to link between (home/about/contact, or something), I'd add an extra £10-20 for each additional page.

But those really are stab-in-the-dark figures based on a few (potentially unrealistic) assumptions!

Not sure that was helpful but there you go anyway :)

Associate
I charge £62.50 so it's totally up to you. If you're inexperienced and don't have a portfolio, I'd recommend doing it for free. That way if you get stuck or take longer the stipulated, you have a bit of leeway on customer's expectations.

One thing I will say, no matter how small the project, put down in writing exactly what you're going to do. We've all been caught out by taking on a quick easy job and then the client starts kicking and screaming because you haven't delivered them a £1000 for the £100 they're paying!

AJK

AJK

Associate
One thing I will say, no matter how small the project, put down in writing exactly what you're going to do. We've all been caught out by taking on a quick easy job and then the client starts kicking and screaming because you haven't delivered them a £1000 for the £100 they're paying!

Yep; you can always over-quote and deliver under budget, but don't get yourself stuck the other way round! :)

Associate
You might also want to talk to them about who keeps it up to date and fixes problems with it, otherwise you'll end up being constantly called and expected to fix it for free.

MW

True that, it's a good shout to put people on a £20 - £30 subscription to make changes, literally an hour's worth of work. It's very unlikely you'll get called every month so you'll make your hourly rate over the year and it guarantees income.

If you do get called regularly, then due to having outlined the changes you'll make for the subscription, you'll be working quickly and on small jobs. It averages out pretty good but more importantly, it's predictable income.

Caporegime
OP
Depends on so many factors:

- What's actually required? Is it literally just a simple, single page with some text and maybe a logo on it? Or do they actually want a few pages, maybe with some images, perhaps some content they can update themselves, an email form, and social media feeds? (Amazing how "simple" means different things to clients!)

Essentially yes, just a single page with a logo and contact info on. They already have all the images like the logo.

I was thinking of putting it on my dedicated server. And then charging an annual fee to cover the cost of the domain name and some extra for me hosting it.

Last edited:

AJK

AJK

Associate
Sounds pretty straightforward; if it's for a friend I'd say it's payment in beer time.

If not, I reckon £50 for setup and the web page, and £50/year for the domain and hosting (subject to traffic, but doesn't sound like they're expecting a particularly busy web presence).

If you're feeling generous call it 40 and 40.
If not, 60 and 60 :)

Associate
I got asked to make and host a one page site. I charged £50 for the design and £10 per year to host it (this went up as my hosting became more useful!). At the time I had 4 empty domain slots on my web server. Also £10 each time they needed any changes after they signed it off (per hour).

The last part is key, make sure they understand you don't work for free otherwise you'll get, oh can you change this, and one or two things turn into a list of 30 "one off changes". I'd advise them to make a list and then tell them how much they'll cost and how long each one will take.

Soldato

This.

I've also found it useful to explicitly state what I'm NOT doing.

Typical one I find is that they'll often expect to appear as number one on google when you search for their business sector, i.e. "IT support" - why am I not number one on google??

With the best will in the world when you say "I'm going to make you website and that's it" they'll come back a month later expecting things that you didn't specifically mention but they ASSUMED would be included. Typically this will be in the form of "how was I supposed to know that I needed to ASK for search engine optimisation??"

To me, it's a fair question. They shouldn't be expected to know what to ask for, and it's your position to advise what they should be asking for. I clearly outline what I do and don't provide and I'm lucky enough to have a list of companies that I can advise they visit to fulfil their requirements that I can't meet.

It's where I get a LOT of my business from. Small companies getting amateurs to setup their website that do it purely for the £100 they make then leave them in the dust. They don't get any advice, they don't receive any support and they don't even end up with a good website.

Regarding your specific question it all comes down to experience. I don't get out of bed for projects that amount to less than £600 these days and charge £50 an hour for support.

I'd say for what they're asking it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for £50 to £100 from an inexperienced developer.

Soldato
Depends if your any good, as your asking i'm guessing you don't have much experience.
Between £6-10

Never know why anyone says this. Someone who's say lead developer at a large agency might be asked to do a page for their brothers football team for something like that. Obviously their not going to have experience in pricing small projects like that.

Associate
From my limited experience as a web designer l should advice you to ask the customer exactly what he wants. The vast majority of customers are actually pretty vague. They usually remember to add or change things in the middle of the project adding complexity and work needed to be done on the project.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Never know why anyone says this. Someone who's say lead developer at a large agency might be asked to do a page for their brothers football team for something like that. Obviously their not going to have experience in pricing small projects like that.

Any "lead developer" who's actually worth being called that will know exactly how long it will take them to produce a single page site for a football team, small local business, etc.

Associate
I follow a guideline that a static HTML and CSS page takes 1 hour to code. That's after the design has been finalised. Make sure that you get the customer to provide a design or charge for the design of a page. Designing a basic page costs about £100.

Back
Top Bottom