How much memory do I need?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
The server at work is a Dell Poweredge PE1850, 2.7Ghz with 1GB of DDR2 memory running Server 2003 Standard. Task manager reports that it's using around 650Mb

It's used for a number of things at the moment, including the company's website which is fairly low traffic at the moment, but that's expected to change. It's built using a mixture of ASP.NET, Classic ASP and SQL Server 2000. We run some fairly complex stored procedures on the data to generate crystal reports accessible via the website but they all generate in a matter of seconds.

It's also used as a basic file server (just using windows shares) and a mail server (hMailserver). There's also a DNS server on there which forwards everything but the company's website (so we can access it via xxx.yyy.com internally) to an external DNS.

Also, how much should I expect to pay? I saw one place selling 4GB of registered ECC for £165 or another set for £60 - obviously a vast difference.

Soldato
Whack 4GB in. Getting EEC memory is entirely up to you and with modern day memory and servers may not be necessary.

SQL is limiting itself because you only have 1GB. As soon as you crack some more memory in it will immediately make use of it.

Use Crucials memory config tool to get the best memory for your tin.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Ah, I was under the impression servers needed EEC - I've never had much experience with them. I'm just writing the SQL which uses its resources :D.

Crucial seem to recommend a 4GB PC2-5300 kit for £134 ish mind.

Soldato
Just to agree with Lucero SQL will limit itsself, if your SQL needs to be faster more memory will help. (maybe stick some memory/disk counters on to see how much the drives are getting hit)

Man of Honour
At the price of RAM today I'd stick 4GB in anything as a minimum, we're routinely deploying boxes with 8GB now because it's not much extra money, it's future proofing and the OS is really responsive with it. I'd say do it unless you're on a really tight budget..

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Cheers :).

I need to work out how to do the counters but I think it may be a good idea rather than guessing :). I'm technically on holiday for the next two weeks but I may check it out.

Associate
Hi.

We've got a PE1850 at work, I upgraded this from 2x 1GB to 4x 1GB and we paid an extra £60 direct from Dell.

Speak to your Dell Account Manager. Orginally dell wanted £130, but i quoted him crucial.com/uk pricing and he beat there price and offered it to me for £60.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Hi.

We've got a PE1850 at work, I upgraded this from 2x 1GB to 4x 1GB and we paid an extra £60 direct from Dell.

Speak to your Dell Account Manager. Orginally dell wanted £130, but i quoted him crucial.com/uk pricing and he beat there price and offered it to me for £60.

Thanks, I'll have to find out if we can do that. I know this server was purchased by someone else and was probably registered at another company before it was moved there (way before my time).

Back
Top Bottom