How much RAM do I need?

Associate
Hi all.

So at the moment I have 16gb of kingston fury beast with a r5 5600 and 6600xt card.

If i was to buy another 16gb does it need to be the same brand etc?

And how do I know how much RAM my system is actually using?

Thanks.

Associate
Open task manager, click on memory tab.
Or use AMD overlay to see RAM usage in games.

16GB is usually OK, especially given those specs if you're just gaming, I've been running 16 with a 5600 and 6750xt for ages with no issues.

If you want to, and if you have 4 slots another 16GB wouldn't hurt, best to have the same batch of RAM so you're already unable to do that, just get another set of the same stuff and unless you're clocking it high it'll probably be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Open task manager, click on memory tab.
Or use AMD overlay to see RAM usage in games.

16GB is usually OK, especially given those specs if you're just gaming, I've been running 16 with a 5600 and 6750xt for ages with no issues.

If you want to, and if you have 4 slots another 16GB wouldn't hurt, best to have the same batch of RAM so you're already unable to do that, just get another set of the same stuff and unless you're clocking it high it'll probably be fine.
Thanks. according to task manager I'm using 41% doing nothing.

Man of Honour
If i was to buy another 16gb does it need to be the same brand etc?
It depends.

You have the best chance of a problem-free upgrade by:
- Running 2 sticks instead of 4 (due to the load on the CPU's memory controller).
- Running sticks of the same memory chips, frequency and timings.

Can you run 4 mismatched sticks? Yes. Does it have the best chance of working without issue? No.

Back
Top Bottom