How much should I charge

Soldato
Hey guys, I have some web development experience but I've never charged for work.

Someone has asked me initially to do them a wordpress installation with three pages for there business. One of the pages with be an enquiry form for which a person can request eggs(money is collected on delivery). I'm also assuming they would like a modified theme.

What would you charge? Obviously I don't want to overcharge nor do I want to undersell my work.

Also, later on down the road they would like to turn this enquiry/order page into an app for Ios and Android, what would be a good estimate to give?

Thanks

Ruckus

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Find an hourly rate you're comfortable with, then estimate how many hours this will take you and multiply.

Yeah, this is the thing I hate asking for money, even if I provide good work I always feel like a cheeky *******! How much so I multiply by and should I also charge separately for a purchased theme?

Soldato
OP
You multiply the hourly rate you're happy with by the number of hours it will take you.

Yes, it's their expense not yours.

Ah okay makes sense, I wasn't sure if there was another factor involved! :o

Okay great!

Do you think £100 for 3 pages, installation and mod of wordpress plus the value of the theme seem reasonable?

Soldato
OP
App wise, Android is more straight forward than iOS, pretty sure with iOS you need to be a dev.

First I'd be asking if they really want an "app" for what sounds like a very basic enquiry/order page, or if they just want a page with a mobile optimised design...

I think they like the idea of an "egg app" @copy; ( :p ). It would be pretty simple stuff. I did say to them, what if people start making false orders and they didn't seem that fussed as they will call new customers first.

But If I can just optimise it for mobile browsers I think they will be please.

As you can tell I've been out of the web dev for a little while. :)

Soldato
OP
Personally I'd stick it in, he would never have bought it and it was required for the job to be done.

How are you getting to £100, break it down? I'd personally charge a base rate per page and then rate's for features, content etc.

Send them the link to this:
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

Edit: I agree with writing a responsive site that's a much better more multi-feature site (for lack of better terms), that way you support every OS

Okay I got to £100

9 * 11 hours rounded to the nearest £10, this would include also making some custom images which I neglected to state and a little bit of SEO.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But then you are doing more than a full days work for £100, are you really happy doing that??

I'd say around £25/hr is fair if you have limited experience. If you do work now for that low an hourly rate, the client will be expecting the same from then on and you end up doing future 'little changes' for nowt.
Thanks for your concern mate. As it is I'm working minimum wage it retail and doing a degree so in comparison it's pretty good money for me!

Don't worry he won't be getting any freebies as my time is stretched enough as it is. :)

Back
Top Bottom