How much space required for a turbo trainer?

Soldato
I know the answer depends on what type of trainer, fan(s), and screen(s) you have, but as rough idea, how much space do you need for an indoor turbo trainer? Just had an offer accepted on a new house and am trying to work out where I can squeeze one in!

I'm thinking 6'x3' minimum.
8'x4' would be reasonable.
10'x5' more than enough.

Am I along the right lines?

Soldato
yes, its just the size of the bike with chosen trainer bolted on the back wheel

the one I had was just a couple of feet longer than the bike

the main thing is to get a quality one, i bought a cheapo and did not like it personally but i cant remember why. It was many years ago but i remember wishing I had bought a better model

Soldato
Mine doesn't take up any more space than the bike, it's a direct one so replaces the rear wheel.
Big industrial fan on the wall in front and a screen and laptop below it on a bench.

Soldato
iiDQSWk.jpg

That's an 8x6' shed from when I first got it in place. (looks a bit different now)

In an ideal world I would've had a little bit more space in front of me to have the fan but having it at a slight angle isn't too bad and it blows the sweat away from the frame. The TV is 45" for context.

Soldato
My hybrid and Saris H3 plus a pedestal fan (to side of rearmost bit of turbo) fit in approx 5.5'x3' gap between my side of the bed and the window. Surface Pro tablet on tallboy set of drawers in front of front wheel.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's an 8x6' shed from when I first got it in place. (looks a bit different now)

In an ideal world I would've had a little bit more space in front of me to have the fan but having it at a slight angle isn't too bad and it blows the sweat away from the frame. The TV is 45" for context.
Thoughts on Headwind please? (Thread hijack)

fez

fez

Caporegime
iiDQSWk.jpg

No ones going to ask why you appear to be watching Miss Rachel while doing a turbo session...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Soldato
Thoughts on Headwind please? (Thread hijack)

Decent fan. I did buy mine during a sale so it took the sting out of it a bit. The function where it pairs to your heart rate monitor is great as you can customise what speed the fan should be at for which heart rate zone you're in. The speed function is a fun gimmick but quite pointless really. When you're going up a hill your speed is right down but you want the fan to be on full as you're likely working hard.

I've not really got much else to compare it to. I like that I can control it through my phone as well but it's not a game changer. I think if I were to buy a fan today unless the headwind was on a decent sale then I'd probably go for the Vacmaster as it's often half the price and does just as well.

Soldato
No ones going to ask why you appear to be watching Miss Rachel while doing a turbo session...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

!! Lol I'm so glad we're out of that phase now (though what it has been replaced by is probably worse...) but it just happened to be the last video on my youtube profile when I was testing it was working :cry:

fez

fez

Caporegime
!! Lol I'm so glad we're out of that phase now (though what it has been replaced by is probably worse...) but it just happened to be the last video on my youtube profile when I was testing it was working :cry:

Sounds...plausible ;)

Not gonna lie, I am a little addicted to Bluey. The boys aren't that bothered yet but I'm a big fan.

Soldato
Sounds...plausible ;)

Not gonna lie, I am a little addicted to Bluey. The boys aren't that bothered yet but I'm a big fan.

Sorry for going OT but Bluey is legitimately great. She's quite into Disney stuff at the moment (currently she can watch A Bugs Life on repeat. Last week was The Aristocats) but she also quite enjoys Blippi on YouTube, who is a hateful Berkshire hunt and this thing on BBC called 'Bing' which at this point I am positive is instilling more bad behaviour than good.

But it avoids tantrums so what am I gonna do :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Few things it depends on obviously, size of turbo plus bike etc, but have a think about what you want to do on the bike (other than cycle, duh!) - eg if you're going to watch films or TV or whatever, it would be pretty uncomfortable for me to do that on anything other than a large screen with a reasonable distance between bike and screen.

I'm lucky in that I've a large double garage where space isn't an issue, but if you're verging on the cramped side it could get fairly unpleasant if you dont have a decent viewing distance. Also, make sure its vented!

Soldato
Decent fan. I did buy mine during a sale so it took the sting out of it a bit. The function where it pairs to your heart rate monitor is great as you can customise what speed the fan should be at for which heart rate zone you're in. The speed function is a fun gimmick but quite pointless really. When you're going up a hill your speed is right down but you want the fan to be on full as you're likely working hard.

I've not really got much else to compare it to. I like that I can control it through my phone as well but it's not a game changer. I think if I were to buy a fan today unless the headwind was on a decent sale then I'd probably go for the Vacmaster as it's often half the price and does just as well.

I have my eye on a used HW on FB Marketplace although the Vacmaster new is still cheaper. I like the remote control and the ability to mount it to my bike. I did like the idea of the headwind adjusting to HR but my Mrs uses it without a HRM so I'd only get complaints in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom