How much to charge for E-Commerce site?

Soldato
I've been approached to build a small e-commerce site for a company. I'll be using Wordpress with WooCommerce.

In terms of the original fee it will need to cover setting up the site, organising the hosting and domain name.

On top of this I will be charing £50 p/m for support.

Any ideas on what you would charge?

Soldato
Seems a bit steep to me for very little work except data entry. Depends how often they'd like you to add/change items then maybe the £50 a month is justifiable.

Caporegime
I've no idea where you're at in your career, how much you think the job or worth, or how important this site is for the customer. But you're essentially charging 1 hour for an entire month of support.

You need to be sure that you define what is and isn't included in this support charge, because I know if I lost an entire day to fiddly little changes and stupid requests over the course of a month for £50 I would be less than happy about it.

Soldato
Charge by the hour.

This

I've no idea where you're at in your career, how much you think the job or worth, or how important this site is for the customer. But you're essentially charging 1 hour for an entire month of support.

You need to be sure that you define what is and isn't included in this support charge, because I know if I lost an entire day to fiddly little changes and stupid requests over the course of a month for £50 I would be less than happy about it.

This even more. I do freelance work and I charge £25 an hour. Charging £50 for a month of support just sounds like you're ripping yourself off.

Soldato
Just call the £50 a retainer that entitles them to basic support with a time limit anything more is chargeable.

Erm as to how much I'd charge for the site would depend on how big the site is. Setting up a wordpress template and woocommerce its not exactly a demanding job so it depends on how much data you're inputting/how much customisation to said template.

I assume you're charging the domain/hosting on top of your charge.

Soldato
OP
Just call the £50 a retainer that entitles them to basic support with a time limit anything more is chargeable.

Erm as to how much I'd charge for the site would depend on how big the site is. Setting up a wordpress template and woocommerce its not exactly a demanding job so it depends on how much data you're inputting/how much customisation to said template.

I assume you're charging the domain/hosting on top of your charge.

The site isn't that large about 50 items. They are paying for the domain and hosting directly, but I set it up for them.

I'm doing a fair bit of customisation to a template. I'm also not inputting items at all really, I'm setting up the system and showing them how to manage it themselves. I chose £50 p/m for 24/7 critical support.

I'm not sure really on the p/h cost to charge them as I've never freelanced (for a cost anyway) and work for a company with a set salary.

Soldato
For that level of work spoffles p/h seems fair enough at £25.

I think you're asking for trouble with the £50 pm 24/7 support. Make sure the contract is worded very well with the limits on it. Naturally people take the ****.

AJK

AJK

Associate
You need to know two things:
- what is your time worth per hour?
- how long will it take you to do the job?

The first is something you need to work out for yourself - how much do you want to earn to make it worth an hour of your time? Remember you need to pay tax. How much is reasonable for your skills and local market? For example, we might all like to earn £200/hour for Wordpress development, but that's not realistic...

The second is simply an estimate. You should know how long it will take you to do the work (if you don't, you shouldn't be doing it). This will depend on exactly what you're setting up and how much customisation is required. Multiply by the hourly rate you worked out.

Once you have a final figure, you can offer a quote based on that, adding any hosting or support retainer as required. I assume you won't be charging VAT so don't worry about that (but make clear it's not charged).

A *basic* guide for how much to charge for a freelance hourly rate is to double your salaried hourly rate (assuming you work in the same field and at the same level as you intend to freelance). That doesn't take into account local market though, so it's only a starting point. I'd say £20/hour would be about the ballpark for Wordpress setup - it's not hard. I'm sure you'd get away with more though as you've already been approached!

Does that help?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You need to know two things:
- what is your time worth per hour?
- how long will it take you to do the job?

The first is something you need to work out for yourself - how much do you want to earn to make it worth an hour of your time? Remember you need to pay tax. How much is reasonable for your skills and local market? For example, we might all like to earn £200/hour for Wordpress development, but that's not realistic...

The second is simply an estimate. You should know how long it will take you to do the work (if you don't, you shouldn't be doing it). This will depend on exactly what you're setting up and how much customisation is required. Multiply by the hourly rate you worked out.

Once you have a final figure, you can offer a quote based on that, adding any hosting or support retainer as required. I assume you won't be charging VAT so don't worry about that (but make clear it's not charged).

A *basic* guide for how much to charge for a freelance hourly rate is to double your salaried hourly rate (assuming you work in the same field and at the same level as you intend to freelance). That doesn't take into account local market though, so it's only a starting point. I'd say £20/hour would be about the ballpark for Wordpress setup - it's not hard. I'm sure you'd get away with more though as you've already been approached!

Does that help?

Very useful thanks. My salaried p/h is £19.56, so I don't think I could get away with double! If I charged £20 p/h it might mean I'm undervaluing myself but it might bring returned custom and longterm income in support.

Soldato
Just curious - how much to charge for a website the upfront cost? Because I've managed to create a takeaway online ordering website that has better functionality and definitely better aesthetics than most for my own business - I imagine many other business owners would want this what should I charge?

Associate
Do freelance work here aswell and charge £25 per hour. Agree with everyone's comments about support. It'll start off with not a lot, wait until they realise they can ask you to do anything.

I charge support in day blocks and say that anything over is billable.

For something like this, i'd charge up to £600 that covers me for 24 hours work, likely to take much less than that but if they start asking for "little" changes (and they will) i've got some wiggle room.

Associate
Just curious - how much to charge for a website the upfront cost? Because I've managed to create a takeaway online ordering website that has better functionality and definitely better aesthetics than most for my own business - I imagine many other business owners would want this what should I charge?

Completely depends, is it just a template you'd install or would you be writing one from scratch?

I charge a regular marketing client £180 to setup a basic WordPress site using a template and importing content. Any customisation I charge extra for.

For custom work, I charge by the hour, the client always asks for additional changes and it's a pain to negotiate extra cash if you've agreed on a price.

Soldato
Well it's quite a lot of work. Template is easy to setup but setting up the online ordering system will take a while as I have to enter every item one by one then setting up the menu is a bit of a pain.

Associate
Well it's quite a lot of work. Template is easy to setup but setting up the online ordering system will take a while as I have to enter every item one by one then setting up the menu is a bit of a pain.

If you've got to enter each item, as an idea using WooCommerce, I work on around 8 - 12 products an hour. I hate doing this so i'd rather not which is why I charge for it!

Get this agreed up front and in writing, any extra products mean you'll charge extra. I got stung on this by a former client, told me they needed 20 products loading, they then came in with a list of 120 and wouldn't pay extra because it wasn't in writing.

Just put in your quote something about any extra products that need to be loaded onto the system will be charged an additional premium.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom