How much will your monthly pension be?

Soldato
We'll I guess this thread has kinda been triggered by the other one regarding life at 40.

Yesterday I had my annual pension letter through the door telling me what to expect at retirement. Damn! it really got me thinking.

Now when I do retire, things like loans and mortgage will be paid off so I'll have a lot less debt, but my pension is the only thing I'll have until death.....which hopefully won't be soon after retirement. If I'm retired for 20-30 years, that's a long time to live with little money.

So how much would be considered enough to have a decent life in your twilight years?

The one thing I don't want to be saying when I'm 70, is "if only I'd saved more". Then again, I need money now to actually enjoy my younger years. We have a family, so spending money on kids clothes, days out, the odd holiday etc etc is good for them as well as us. My kids want good memories of growing up.

You can assume that 30 years from now, things will be more expensive. If we look back 30 years ago people earnt less and houses were cheaper. If my predicted pension seems low now, what on earth is it going to look like in 30 years time!

So how much is enough? and how much are you putting away? I guess millions are in the same boat. Everyone wants to save more, but little money left over at the end of each month to do so.

My company matches up to 5% and I am putting away 5%. In a years time when I hit 40 a loan we have will be paid off with something else and I plan to double my contribution. Even then, my monthly pension looks low at what will be £400 a month. Add state pension and it's not a lot....or is it?

I have a second pension from my old job and thinking about moving that into my current one. It was only going for about 2-3 years so probably worthwhile moving it.

Soldato
OP
actual value

My original plan was to double my contributions next year when my loan is paid off. Mortgage ends when I'm 60, and if I retire when I'm say 70 that's 10 years to up it again.

Then again we're in a decent size house we could sell and downside to provide a next egg for extra stuff.

Soldato
OP
Ha I think my current pension will pay out about £200 per year and considering I'm in my 30's with no chance of buying a property any time soon I think retirement might consist of me swallowing a shot gun. :o

Or worse.... working at B&Q :(

You're in the same boat as most in their 20s and 30s. I look at mine and the mrs parents and they are set!

without putting hundreds in and hundreds a month extra in, I just can't see how I can make a decent pension.

Soldato
OP
well I'm pleased I made this thread. Done the sums and have decided once my loan has been paid I'm upping my pension to 13% which will give me the same amount a month as now without mortgage. That is taking into account state pension as well.

Then between the age of 60-70 when I'm mortgage free I will save that amount.

Soldato
OP
I do worry though, that people in their 20s and 30s (taking into account austerity and the 'must have it today' mindset) that when I retire there will be millions and millions living on basic state pension. Unless I'm mistaken and the majority of the workforce are putting a decent amount away into a pension scheme?

Soldato
OP
Well I think my pot will be 350k which is kinda the minimum I'd like, plus I will have 78k in savings. Sell the house, downsize to something smaller and I should be ok.

Soldato
OP
Struggling to learn of any company putting in anywhere near the amount some of you are suggesting.

My current, last and the one before that had a maximum of 5%. I've asked my friends, all 5%

some of you are way over 10% who are these companies? ;)

Back
Top Bottom