How noisy is DFI Lanparty chipset fan?

Associate
I currently have the Asus A8N32-sli mobo with a passive cooler but this mobo has too many bugs and it should have never been released. Today I tried to update the BIOS but it did not allow me to after trying 3 different ways. This has made me think F*#?k this mobo and get a different one. I looked at a DFI Lanparty mobos but all of them have chipset fans. I like the passive cooling on my current one and would like to keep the noise down as much as possible. How noisy are these small chipset fans? Is there an option to change them to passive coolers? They seem to be directly underneath the graphics card so don't know how much room there is for a taller passive cooler.

there isnt really enough room for a passive cooler, ive got one, ran it for over a year, half of that duration i had a Zalman Northbridge (slightly modded) Passive Cooler for the chipset (split around my gfx card), and when i replaced my gfx i couldnt use it anymore, and i noticed a big noise difference, of course its all subjective, but its a whiney little thing tbh. but you can mellow it with the use of the ITE software that comes with the mobo to tone down the level of fan speed. i would just try and flash your current mobo :P

It whines at full RPM, which is really irritating. The chipset rarely goes over 50 so I just set it to fan control at about 4500RPM. Considerably more tolerable and it harmonizes well with the rest of the fans so it's not really noticeable.

Mul

Amidar said:
2 many bugs???

I have not had one single problem with my A8N32-SLI which i have owned since they came out?

What problems are you having?

This mobo has too many compatibility problems. I'm experiencing problems with my BS X-FI souncard which is annoying as I have today ripped a classical music CD and it's causing crackling noise. It is a well known issue mostly noticed in games. Also there is a compatibility issue with 7900 series cards, the PC will not even boot with ATI TV wonder cards. The 7900 compatibility is suppose to be fixed with the latest BIOS but I cannot even install it, tried 3 different ways none of which work. Canot even install Asus Update utility as it conflicts with some other drivers. The mobo runs very hot for many people for unknown reasons - some reported a drop in 10C after they disconnected the floppy drive cable :). If you want to look what other issues there are with this mobo then go to the ASUS support forums.

The A8N32-SLI might be good in the future but it has been released with too many bugs, ASUS just rushed it on the market too quickly.

Day03 said:
This mobo has too many compatibility problems. I'm experiencing problems with my BS X-FI souncard which is annoying as I have today ripped a classical music CD and it's causing crackling noise. It is a well known issue mostly noticed in games. Also there is a compatibility issue with 7900 series cards, the PC will not even boot with ATI TV wonder cards. The 7900 compatibility is suppose to be fixed with the latest BIOS but I cannot even install it, tried 3 different ways none of which work. Canot even install Asus Update utility as it conflicts with some other drivers. The mobo runs very hot for many people for unknown reasons - some reported a drop in 10C after they disconnected the floppy drive cable :). If you want to look what other issues there are with this mobo then go to the ASUS support forums.

The A8N32-SLI might be good in the future but it has been released with too many bugs, ASUS just rushed it on the market too quickly.

X-FI soundcard problems are to do with the Nforce 4 chip set my DFI board used to it.As for 7900GTX problems i'm running one with the 1103 bio's and haven't had any problems at all.As for temps my chipset is 30c idle & never go's above 35 under load.CPU (FX-55 @ 2.8ghz) is 32 idle & 40 load.And i can't understand why anybody would need a floppy drive connected apart from bio's flashing but i just flash from CD rom.

Last edited:
I have the DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D and I have yet to notice my chipset fan at normal speeds. It is audiable at full wack but the only time its ever been over 50% is when I forced it to 100% just now lol :D

SiriusB

I would go or a RD580 or 480 Based board. OK I know you are on a NVidia GC but sounds like some of your issues are with the NF4 chipset and all my compatability issues disapeared when I went for the Asus A8R-MVP mobo. Ironically won't really need the X-Fi with that board due to the excellent onboard sound but in my experience of two boards that is the mobo I'd go for.

Oh and it's 100% passive non-heat pipe.

b4z said:
i had a Zalman Northbridge (slightly modded) Passive Cooler for the chipset (split around my gfx card), and when i replaced my gfx i couldnt use it anymore,
why not just stick your graphics card in the other pcie slot - you'll lose a couple of frames per second at worst - and then be able to usethe passive cooler.

fini

fini said:
why not just stick your graphics card in the other pcie slot - you'll lose a couple of frames per second at worst - and then be able to usethe passive cooler.

fini

he probably wouldn't even lose any frames. It'd run in PCI-e 8x mode. I still get the same performance on 8x than with 16x in the upper slot.

Mul

The dfi expert can run a zalman passive fine. I do it with a 7900 and plenty of room even if i went sli. You want a silent 80mm fan blowing over it or you it hits 40 degrees - sits at 30 with fan

Back
Top Bottom