How often do you reinstall Windows?

Soldato
Because it's a personal computer and i don't want +1.2GB of software that I'm never going to use just because Microsoft thinks they know better than i do what should be installed on my hardware, that and it's a security risk.
Microsoft may think it's a good idea to install/enable unnecessary software and increase attack vectors but i don't and as it's my computer, not Microsoft's, i get to decide what is an isn't installed.
Did you find a way of removing Windows Back up? I'm hoping it's a simple PowerShell command or two, but knowing MS they'll make you jump through rings of fire.

Soldato
I know how to remove it but ATM that involves removing all of CBS (Component-Based Servicing) and that includes TextInputHost (on screen touch keyboard) and ScreenClipping (UWP version of the snipping tool) so removing it would break those.

It's easier to remove SystemApps than it used to be but it involves registry edits (basically you end of life the app so it can be removed with remove-appxpackage) so it's not something I'd recommend doing unless you're confident in how to reverse things.

If you're interested this gist gives all the details of how to EOL SystemApps if, like me, you're interested in learning through doing. I'm working on a good way to catch and prevent Edge update from downloading Edge after a Windows update so once I'm happy with that I'll start digging into Windows Back Up so if i discover a easy/clean way of removing that I'll let you know.

Soldato
I know how to remove it but ATM that involves removing all of CBS (Component-Based Servicing) and that includes TextInputHost (on screen touch keyboard) and ScreenClipping (UWP version of the snipping tool) so removing it would break those.

It's easier to remove SystemApps than it used to be but it involves registry edits (basically you end of life the app so it can be removed with remove-appxpackage) so it's not something I'd recommend doing unless you're confident in how to reverse things.

If you're interested this gist gives all the details of how to EOL SystemApps if, like me, you're interested in learning through doing. I'm working on a good way to catch and prevent Edge update from downloading Edge after a Windows update so once I'm happy with that I'll start digging into Windows Back Up so if i discover a easy/clean way of removing that I'll let you know.
I'm not sure if MSMG on the MDL forums (against the rules for me to link to the forums, sorry) has had any success with the Windows Backup app (seems to be called Windows Back up on my system). I hope so, then it should mean I won't have to faff around trying to remove it myself.

Despite me never having used it, Task Manager shows the app has used ~5 minutes of CPU time in the App history tab.

Soldato
If it running in the background is what's bothering you can you turn it off in settings? Settings > Privacy > Background Apps.

I would test it but i turn off the running of backgrounds apps altogether.

Soldato
If it running in the background is what's bothering you can you turn it off in settings? Settings > Privacy > Background Apps.

I would test it but i turn off the running of backgrounds apps altogether.
Likewise, I have turned off the option in Settings > Privacy > Background apps > Let apps run in the background. All the apps listed below are turned off and greyed out. But Windows Backup isn't in that list. :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
You could try disabling it globally, well for the current user but it's called global..
Code:
Reg.exe add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\BackgroundAccessApplications" /v "GlobalUserDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Soldato
It's terribly annoying that Microsoft keep adding trash to their OS. Windows back-up being the latest in the line of awful. I'm not even allowed to use the service, due to my region, but it still gets pushed on to the system and can't be removed.

I re-install Windows more than I should at the moment. Changed out my GPU recently, and thought it'd be easier to just flatten and start again. The major plus point for the OS (although most have this these days) is that it takes so little time to install/update, and be back to a usable system.

Man of Honour
Could be worse, we could be using something spawned from Windows 8. ;)

As much as I hate Windows 8 at a UI level, at a kernel level it is actually really fast and does little in the way of annoying background stuff, uncontrolled maintenance processes or updates, etc. :s

Soldato
Could be worse, we could be using something spawned from Windows 8. ;)
I actually liked Windows 8.1, once you get rid of that Start screen by installing a Start menu replacement. If I had to fault it, it would be the thick window borders which look a bit gash now.

Associate
My Win10 install is from around 2019, and then was cloned onto a new ssd. This year I cloned it to a M2 drive then updated to 22H2 and its a tiny bit faster. The boot time is nowhere near what it used to be but the slight wait doesn't bother me enough to reinstall from scratch. Even though a lot of programs are installed it hasn't gone wrong.

Soldato
Yeah, its kind of annoying to know, that so many people will have 3 browsers in their Windows computer.

And yes, I agree with Win 8.1 being not that bad.
But then I also loved the Aero/Glass themes in Vista & Win7. I simply loathe the newer themes that look like some failed art studend made them for Windows 3.1 that you have had since Win8

That said, the KDE Plasma Desktop for Linux has also gone that direction too and thats also why I hate KDE since v5

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, its kind of annoying to know, that so many people will have 3 browsers in their Windows computer.

And yes, I agree with Win 8.1 being not that bad.
But then I also loved the Aero/Glass themes in Vista & Win7. I simply loathe the newer themes that look like some failed art studend made them for Windows 3.1 that you have had since Win8

That said, the KDE Plasma Desktop for Linux has also gone that direction too and thats also why I hate KDE since v5
I've managed to get the glass theme back, mostly, with third party software its not exactly the same but its close

Man of Honour
Windows 10/11 is such an eye-sore compared to a properly setup Windows 7 aero glass theme :( and using 3rd party software to replace the UI can potentially cause all kinds of issues, or require redoing, after updates :(

Soldato
Windows 10/11 is such an eye-sore compared to a properly setup Windows 7 aero glass theme :( and using 3rd party software to replace the UI can potentially cause all kinds of issues, or require redoing, after updates :(

Windowsblinds is at least easy to reapply a theme open its menu and hit apply, I got it when it was quite cheap it seems to gone up since. There are few things like Chrome or Firefox which don't play nice but they can be excluded without any trouble at least Waterfox and I imagine firefox is skinnable in its own right

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom