How rubbish is iTunes???

Soldato
Spent most of yesterday evening swearing at iTunes on Windows. Normally I have no issue with it and can sync stuff to my iPod and iPad without issues.

But yesterday it was really acting up ... I don't know if it was the latest update but it just wasn't syncing things properly at all. Try and sync a CD to the iPod, iTunes hangs at the end of syncing the first track. Have to kill it as it's not responding at all.

- Re-installed iTunes
- Reset iPod

Still acting up but at least let me copy a little before hanging .... each hang i need to do the following:
- kill iTunes in task manager
- unplug iPod
- Restart iTunes
- Reset iTunes sync history in device preferences
- Plug in iPod and let it be detected
- Eject iPod cleanly
- Plug in iPod and let it be detected
- Sync track 2 of the CD to be synced to the iPod (syncing track 1 will hang again)
- Sync remaining tracks of CD including track 1

Then I can sync random numbers of CDs, between 4 and 10, before the issue happens again :(

Irritating to say the least, and something that wasn't happening last time I did it.

Soldato
OP hates iTunes... OP doesn't use another program to eliminate hate = FAIL.

Why should he though? It's the software designed by the maker of the items he's paid for. Most of the decent tools that can do this as well either charge or put in cripple-ware which deliberately slows the transfers down or adding a conversion wait time (even though nothings being converted).

I've had problems in the past and I absolutely hate the UI for it. My wifes old is a nightmare to transfer stuff to where as the company iPhone I have is a lot better but still not brilliant. I still hate how you can't actually use it as a storage device and drag and drop items to and from it.

M.

Permabanned
Why should he though? It's the software designed by the maker of the items he's paid for. Most of the decent tools that can do this as well either charge or put in cripple-ware which deliberately slows the transfers down or adding a conversion wait time (even though nothings being converted).

I've had problems in the past and I absolutely hate the UI for it. My wifes old is a nightmare to transfer stuff to where as the company iPhone I have is a lot better but still not brilliant. I still hate how you can't actually use it as a storage device and drag and drop items to and from it.

M.

Because there is an issue probably not relating to iTunes but the users of iTunes or something breaking it not directly related to iTunes itself...

Associate
Generally, iTunes is ridiculously easy to use.

Just need to make sure the files are where it thinks they are (just like any other media player with a library....)

tnx

tnx

Associate
I install iTunes onto my PC but use iMToo iTransfer to add music etc etc onto my iPhone,iPod and iPad.

It is easy to use, infact falling off a log would be harder.

Soldato
Generally, iTunes is ridiculously easy to use.

Just need to make sure the files are where it thinks they are (just like any other media player with a library....)

I think its the concept of editing meta data (tags) not moving files around themselves that causes confusion.

Its really a metaphor for data, (drag and drop tags) over another metaphor (drag and drop files).

Back
Top Bottom