How slow would this be?

Soldato
Hi all,

How fast (or rather, how slow), would an i7 6700K and 1080ti combo be with 16GB memory for modern games?

Would it handle 1080p?

Thanks

Edit, right you are, 6700k

Last edited:
It'll handle the majority of games, but some newer games from the last few years (e.g. Starfield) will struggle to maintain consistently playable frame rates on an old 4 core/4 thread CPU.

If you have the i7-6700K instead of the i5-6600K (the model you quoted is ambiguous) pretty much anything should be decently playable at 1080p.

Appreciate the advice. I don't own it, and you're correct it is the i7 6700k, but was looking for a used budget system to get me back into pcs. It's been many years since I built anything, last did an upgrade in 2010, but moved that system on many years ago. Been using an old laptop that is 13yrs old that is ready for the bin....

I now feel the urge to get something again after being a console gamer the last few years.

The system I've found seems ok and is local, but I was considering whether I stop being tight and give myself a proper budget. But for 1080p gaming, if it will just about manage it, I could be tempted.

The system I've found seems ok and is local, but I was considering whether I stop being tight and give myself a proper budget. But for 1080p gaming, if it will just about manage it, I could be tempted.
It won't be amazing, the old 4 core 8 thread CPUs are hitting their limit, but it should get you to playability in pretty much anything.

The 1080 Ti is no problem, that's equivalent in performance to modern 1080p cards.

I'd suggest looking on YouTube for the games you want to play and do a search for a few examples, e.g. "the game, the card, 1080p":

Videos with a 3770K or 4770K are still relevant to you, if they have the same card.

For a modern system, I'd make a Ryzen 5600 or Intel 12400F the baseline.

My pc is 6700K and 1080. It's no good for AAA games, but indie games, wow, lol, that sort of thing is fine.

That said, I'll be replacing it soon because the age is showing, so only get this if it's super cheap or you're just throwing money at something you'll replace soon anyway.

I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but asking price is £500

I7 6700k
Be quiet cooler
Asus z170 pro Mobo
1080ti
16gb memory - unsure of brand
512gb SSD. Assume not an onboard jobbie
2 X 1TB drives - unimportant to me
Psu - unsure spec or model
Corsair case of some description
Corsair k55 keyboard
Razor adder mouse
Samsung 27" monitor - unknown resolution, assume 1080p

I was tempted to throw in an offer, not close to £500 though

Last edited:
This is the sort of base build (new) I'd be looking at for 1080p:

(CPU cooler is in CPU box)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £730.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

For 1440p:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,136.41 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Second hand, you'd be better off with AM4 in terms of upgrades, because e.g. a 1600 or 2600 could be upgraded to a 5700X3D. You can technically mod Z170 boards to support 8th/9th gen CPUs, but that is hit and miss and you have to mess with the BIOS.

£125 (incl. VAT)
£99 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£200 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
£219 (incl. VAT)
£180 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£380 (incl. VAT)
£360 (incl. VAT)
£70 (incl. VAT)
£55 (incl. VAT)
Appreciate the time and effort of your response, that is very helpful. I think given the relatively small price difference between the used system and the one you've specced above, it's a bit of a no brainer!

I'll see what I can do budget wise, cheers

Appreciate the time and effort of your response, that is very helpful. I think given the relatively small price difference between the used system and the one you've specced above, it's a bit of a no brainer!

I'll see what I can do budget wise, cheers
I thought it might help to list out what a typical build costs. FYI though: RX 6600 is not on a par with a 1080 Ti. TPU's GPU database has the 1080 Ti as 17% faster, though the CPU is a lot better than the 6700K (2 extra cores and is much faster per-core), so I'd expect overall performance in newer games to beat the 1080 Ti combo.

A closer match to the 1080 Ti would be a RX 7600 8GB, RTX 4060 or 6650 XT. The 4060 has the lowest power consumption of those and would cost around £250, but a 6750 XT would be even better and you can get them under £300 (recently the 7700 XT was on sale near that price too).

you're being conned if you were thinking of paying anywhere near £700 for that 6700k+1080ti build lol
It's in the first couple of posts. Wasn't going to go anywhere near that. But I know people like to take a cheap shot if they think they've got an opportunity

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but asking price is £500

I7 6700k
Be quiet cooler
Asus z170 pro Mobo
1080ti
16gb memory - unsure of brand
512gb SSD. Assume not an onboard jobbie
2 X 1TB drives - unimportant to me
Psu - unsure spec or model
Corsair case of some description
Corsair k55 keyboard
Razor adder mouse
Samsung 27" monitor - unknown resolution, assume 1080p

That's about average as it includes monitor, KB and mouse. For reference I recently sold an Intel 12400F, 32GB DDR5 6000, RTX3070 and a 1TB NVME in an RGB Lian Li case for £750.

I'd prefer to buy the monitor separately unless you can get the model number. 1080p at 27" won't look great.

Last edited:
Yeh the monitor isn't really that useful, I already have a 24" 1080p monitor.

He's come back that he will only go down to £350. So will probably give it a miss and look at your suggested setups above
Thanks

@BAcon £350 for the whole lot isn't bad
The 1080ti goes for ~£130-150 by itself
But I'd want to know what PSU it had though, before committing

Just also to make sure you are aware that the 6th gen intels are not officially windows 11 compatible (though there are workarounds to install it should you choose/need to)

Last edited:
It'll handle the majority of games, but some newer games from the last few years (e.g. Starfield) will struggle to maintain consistently playable frame rates on an old 4 core/4 thread CPU.

If you have the i7-6700K instead of the i5-6600K (the model you quoted is ambiguous) pretty much anything should be decently playable at 1080p.
I tried to play Starfield with a i7 6700k and RX 480. The performance after surfacing was dire.

@BAcon £350 for the whole lot isn't bad
The 1080ti goes for ~£130-150 by itself
But I'd want to know what PSU it had though, before committing

Just also to make sure you are aware that the 6th gen intels are not officially windows 11 compatible (though there are workarounds to install it should you choose/need to)
Ok thanks, it's a Corsair cx550m psu, monitor is in fact a 24", 1080p curved 60hz screen. So no use at all to me.

Will give it a miss I think. Was just hoping for a cheap rig to get me going while I find my feet with current tech. My last system was a Phenom II on 955 platform, so I'm very out of touch!

So far:
Overclocking doesn't appear as popular as it once was.
Water cooling seems very modular and simple nowadays, gone are the Eheim 1250 builds from the mid noughties (thankfully).
SLI no longer common
it's all about SSDs, whether that's the nvme or ssd.
1080p or 1440p seems to be the first choice to make!

Ok thanks, it's a Corsair cx550m psu
ah that's a decent psu, but far too underpowered for a 1080ti (1080ti's transient spikes are up to 480w), so you'd compromise the longevity of the psu

So far:
Overclocking doesn't appear as popular as it once was.
Water cooling seems very modular and simple nowadays, gone are the Eheim 1250 builds from the mid noughties (thankfully).
SLI no longer common
it's all about SSDs, whether that's the nvme or ssd.
1080p or 1440p seems to be the first choice to make!
honestly i'd just get some used parts off the MM and go from there
better bang-for-buck and less outlay should you decide that pc gaming isn't for you

Back
Top Bottom