How to become a teacher?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Start my PGCE in September, really looking forward to it, though more the classroom time and experience than the paperwork!

Soldato
Not being funny but if you have to ask here on how to become a teacher then are you really cut out for it. Your quick google should have shown you your potential path.

Know many teachers? :D The main ICT teacher in my wife's school actually seeks her out for help with connecting a bloody projector to a laptop!

I wouldn't go anywhere near teaching whilst Gove is in charge and the attacks he's orchestrating on the profession.

Indeed.

To the OP: If you do decide to go ahead with it, I'd recommend ripping your soul out in advance. Will save time in the long run.

Soldato
Not at all.

I'm a primary teacher and we have a colleague who decided to become a teacher after working as an LSA in school for years. She's 43 and is now halfway through her 2 year training course (she is doing on-the-job training, so is doing a class share, working alongside another teacher as an unqualified teacher, gradually increasing the amount that she teaches and taking more control of the class. She gets paid a fairly decent amount too, given that she is unqualified. Obviously you don't get this as a 'normal' student).

It's a tough, but very rewarding career, and I absolutely love my job, and think I'm good at it, even though Mr Gove keeps telling us all how much we're failing our pupils :( .

Like others have said, you need A-Levels. If you want to do a degree in a specific area first, then you can do a PGCE afterwards.

A primary teaching degree is a 4 year course at some unis, a 3 year at others.

I would personally say that I think a PGCE is more suited to those wanting to be secondary teachers, who want to teach the subject they have done their degree in. I did the 4 year Primary Ed course and I don't think I would have felt prepared to teach 12 subjects, as well as learning classroom management skills, etc, after doing a 1-year PGCE. PGCEs are extremely intensive.

Apart from those who do a PGCE in Early Years eh? ;)

Soldato
Two of my close family members are both teachers, one in an all girls school in London (pretty posh one) & she loves it - another in a significantly worse school in the Midlands & hates it.

Teaching in a nice school with kids from nice families seems to be much easier from what I've been told - but on the other hand all the good teachers only teaching kids who are already well behaved/intelligent seems to be missing the point of teaching somewhat (as those most in need of good tuition are left with the poorer teachers).

Soldato
Teaching in a nice school with kids from nice families seems to be much easier from what I've been told - but on the other hand all the good teachers only teaching kids who are already well behaved/intelligent seems to be missing the point of teaching somewhat (as those most in need of good tuition are left with the poorer teachers).

My girlfriend teaches in a secondary school with a catchment area that spans both the middle-class suburbs and one of the worst sink estates in the south of England.

Sometimes it's the middle-class kids (or their parents) that are worse than those from the estate! :p

Soldato
Apart from those who do a PGCE in Early Years eh? ;)

Did you actually read what I wrote? I am fully aware you can do a PGCE in early years. I said that in my opinion, PGCE is more suited to secondary teaching and I, personally, wouldn't have felt prepared to teach in primary after doing a PGCE.

Thug
Soldato
God don't be a teacher! It's a particular type of person that becomes a teacher.

For more information look on Youtube for Armstrong and Miller teacher adverts.

Teachers are for the most part petty snidey people with no up and go, and with chips on their shoulders and no concept of hard work.

I say this as someone who has been to a lot of schools and whose parents are deputy and head and who have always been teachers.

When you meet a teacher who truely see's it as a vocation, then yes they're great. But they are extremely rare.

Soldato
Did you actually read what I wrote? I am fully aware you can do a PGCE in early years. I said that in my opinion, PGCE is more suited to secondary teaching and I, personally, wouldn't have felt prepared to teach in primary after doing a PGCE.

i did yea.

Ah ok.

My missus did a B-tec in Early years, then a Degree in Early years and then a PGCE in early years :p 6 years of education o.O

She specialized in Special needs children, specifically autistic. Properly the most qualified teacher in the area for special needs children :p

Back
Top Bottom