How to become an MVP?

Associate
I was at a SQL conference in London today and I noticed that most of the speakers were MVP awarded. Looking at the Microsoft site an MVP needs to demonstrate technical ability, helping others, volunteering their services, evangelising Microsoft products and more.

If I started answering peoples SQL problems, how many would I need to solve? Do I need to be on certain sites to be noticed? Does an MVP make one more valuable to prospective employers?

Is anyone here an MVP?

Soldato
I've read that page but it is quite vague, eg. Does posting on technet count more than the programming sub forum of OcUK? How many books do I need to write and publish. How many followers of my blog do I need etc.
It's not set in stone - there is no "have 3 books, 10,000 technet posts and you're in" deal here.

It's a case of doing whatever it takes to be noticed. Whether that is posting on Technet or other MS related forums, having a huge rep on StackOverflow and becoming known as an expert in the tags related to your interests, having a high-traffic blog, or writing books. Either way, it's not easy and it's definitely not quick.

IMO don't worry about becoming an MVP. The more you make it obvious you want to be an MVP, the less likely you are to become one. To be an MVP you should be looking to help others gain a knowledge of MS products and services, not looking to advance your own career.

Back
Top Bottom