How to check storage space

Soldato
Hi all

I just want to know the best way to find out how much free space I have on my SSD? Is there any certain apps to get or just go onto disk management?

Also I've now got a few things added to my 'This PC' section, they appeared after windows done a repair after I installed a new motherboard and CPU...

They are:

System Reserved (D:) 578mb
Local Disk (E:) 96mb

Any help on the above matters will be appreciated

Cheers

Soldato
It should be self-evident in my computer no? used vs free space? (this has been a basic thing since god knows when in windows).

If you're looking for an app to see where space is used up Treesize (there's a free version) can help see where space is being used.

If you're hitting "Quick Access" in Win 10 when you open explorer, you can set that back to the old style that opens on drive view (My Computer).

Soldato
I am guessing you have partitioned your SSD into a load of partitions.

go into windows explorer and click on my PC and you will see how much space is left on each partition. That’s how much space you have left on SSD. Depend on the age and type of your SSD drive, filling them full is not a good idea as SSD have to perform TRIM to keep itself in tip top condition and also many drives operate a dynamic cache to boost write speed. When drive is too full that cache performance is diminished therefore the drive starts to get slow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like the System Reserved and Recovery partitions have been assigned drive letters, they're usually hidden and not assigned a drive letter.

Back
Top Bottom