• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to choose which manufacturer to buy of a certain GPU? Are factory overclocks worth £?

Associate
Just wondering what people base their decisions on in terms of which manufacturer to go for a given card, ie RTX 2070.

There are several options from the same manufacturer even, seems to be based on different clock speeds? But the price differences seem quite a lot between models, are they reflected in performance? Or some other value.

Associate
OP
Perfect, thanks for the info, exactly what I needed.

Installing aftermarket coolers would void the warranty wouldn't it?

I think I'm going to get a 2060 based on the cheapest A-chip that has decent cooling, and then select on warranty/noise.

Associate
OP
I decided to get the Palit 2060 which is on sale right now for £335: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04m-pl.html

It is the cheapest 2060 with an A chip and decent factory overlcock, has a 2 fan cooling solution and the reviews I found of it were pretty good. The only downside that was flagged up in reviews is that it's not silent, the fans spin slowly even without being under load. But that's fine for me, the reviews said it wasn't a noisy card either, just not silent.

All that being said... can't help but feel it's not a good purchase and the card is overpriced and I'm being ripped off. Am I being paranoid/naive thinking that NVIDIA could just drop the price soon? It seems weird to me to spend the same money, for the same performance as the previous generation. Usually with each generation I thought you spend less to get equal performance, or spend equal and get more performance.

Back
Top Bottom