How to clone a Linux system.

APM

APM

Associate
I use Macrium Reflect to clone my windows system on a regular basis and I would like to do the same for my Linux install.

I tried DD which is ok if you only want to clone a partition whereas I want to clone an entire drive with 4 partitions on it.

I'm looking at Clonezilla which I guess I can use to make an image file but then I'd have to run a usb live to re-install that image back to another HDD I guess?

What I really want is a way to just clone a running Linux install to another drive which I could then just plug and play at a later date if I have a drive failure with the initial drive.
Does such a thing exist or what is the nearest approximation to it?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

APM

APM

Associate
OP
matja you are a star,thank you very much.

I should have stated that the system is a Fedora 36 workstation edition.

I will look into the info you provided and have a go at running those commands if they are available to me for the system I am in otherwise I have a lot more info to work with than previously so thank you again.

APM

APM

Associate
OP
All good info thanks again,especially the boot info.

The disks are both 1TB with the existing OS having 57Gb reserved so I'm thinking the native disk will be smaller compared with the back up disk.

Rescuezilla is another option I've been looking at ,it would be nice to be able to just clone to another drive as I do with Windows then just plug and play the back up drive if the need arises but it looks like a Clone or Rescue zilla image back up will have to do in the case of Fedora.

Not too much faffing running a live usb to transfer the image onto another drive I guess though maybe a little time consuming.
I have Gparted on a disk somewhere so I may have a look in there and see what options that offers.

Back
Top Bottom