How to convert a jpg for print?

Soldato
I've a website banner here in jpg and png format that I need to convert in order to have it printed at a local printers for a friend.

The dimensions required are 1600mm Wide x 650mm in height (although I'll need to confirm that as it seems a bit of a weird size in relation to the current size of the banner in jpg/png form).

The printer has also said the following:-

• +5mm bleed on all four sides
• + one set of crop marks
• Must be in Hi – resolution PDF

Any advice on how to go about this chaps?. I've got PS, Fireworks, Illustrator etc but I'm a bit lost as I don't do this very often. And yeah, I know I should have designed the logo/banner from the start as a Vector. Damn!!!.

Any advice or pointers appreciated. :)

Associate
Unfortunately the image is most likely too small for printing and will need to be upscaled making it blurry and poor quality. It might be best to recreate the vector image from your raster image if you no longer have it. Do you also know the DPI too?

Soldato
If he wants a print that size the the raster should be at 300dpi minimum. That means his pixel size would be roughly 8000 by 17000 if my quick head maths is correct.

Associate
If it's simple (not too complex and all one colour) you can use the auto trace in Illustrator to convert it to a vector that should either be good enough, or a good start for you to tidy up.

If all you have is a lowres multi-coloured banner, scrap it and start from scratch, recreating all text and shapes in Illustrator. If you have used any photographic elements, either source bigger ones or recreate them to a higher resolution in Photoshop.

Pop a version of the banner up here if you want a better guess. I'll help if it's quick :)

Back
Top Bottom