How to get a career in programming

Associate
Hi Gents,

I'm looking for some advice and direction really.

I've finally decided which path I'd like to follow. I'd like to become a programmer/developer.

This is an area that interests me greatly, however, I have a couple of problems.

1. I've just finished university with an MA in Medieval History - neither a related or scientific subject.

2. I currently work full time as a hotel manager and have done for the last year, I have been with the company for 2.5 years. I cannot afford to leave this job to study so cannot do a full time course (my full time masters has almost killed me).

I have A levels in maths, physics and history, with an AS level in chemistry.

Also I'm 23 if that makes any difference?

Basically I'm looking for advice on how to get into the industry, what if any qualifications I should attain, and is it possible to teach myself from books/videos etc?

I would ideally like to learn Java and then another complimentary language. Would this be doable and would it provide me with the breadth of knowledge to perform at least an entry level role?

I had thought about maybe creating a portfolio alongside a blog. Would this be beneficial?

Thank you for any input!

Associate
OP
Thank you for the input guys it is much appreciated.

To answer a few questions.

I'd like to be a developer because I enjoy problem solving and would also like a job where I am able to be part of a creative team. I only wish I'd had the presence of mind to take computer science at university instead of history (which I have loved doing but leaves me in this predicament).

I mainly considered java as there seems to be a large market for it, however, I am open to all suggestions. Also there seems to be a good list of qualifications for it available from the oracle site. I'm under the impression you can skip the course and just take the exams?

As for the income such a career would initially generate. I am quite happy to take a pay cut to move into something like this. My current salary is not what you would call large, I receive very few benefits and work an average of 60 hours a week, often more (including the early hours some days, depending on functions etc). I would be able to survive in the first instance with anything over £15,000. Is this a realistic basic salary to expect?

With regards to stress I would imagine I would cope quite well because of my experiences in my current role and my masters. I've had to become an expert in time management, organisation and working methodically.

Thank you also for your suggestions of other languages to start with, I'll have to sit down this evening and have a proper look at these.

A project is a great idea, thanks lordhughes, I'll have to put the grey matter into dreaming up something useful.

All of this is so helpful lads, please keep it coming.

Associate
OP
In terms of salary, I would expect anything between 20k - 25k if your a noobie moving into the Java EE space.

The jobs that i've had so far don't give that much creativity. So if this is a big driver for you, you might want to look into something like frontend development instead and maybe design.

Thanks for the info mate.

By creative I mainly mean the process of making something, rather than in the artistic sense. I'm no artist believe me :(.

I've always wanted a job with a real end goal and a product that lasts.

This is one of my main gripes with my current job. I go to work and we do a function for 150 people. We serve their food and drink, run the day, and at 3am we clean up and come back six hours later to do it all again.

edit: kkelly thank you for the code academy link I've just had a quick flick through and it looks like a great resource for a beginner like myself.

Associate
OP
Hi Gents,

I've just had time to read over the thread.

Thank you all for the input!

It seems this thread has been useful to a couple of people which is great.

It seems that experience is going to be key, so once I've got enough knowledge under my belt I will have to begin an open source project as suggested. I'll accompany this with a blog and portfolio and go from there. The goal is to eventually move into an entry level position and work my way up.

Now I just have to make a final decision on which language to start with.:)

Please keep your input and experiences coming guys.

Associate
OP
Company I work for have a Java Intake in March, as a Higher Apprentice, that's if you're interested in doing Java of course aha.

Thanks for the info mate, as above, what sort of level would you need to be at to apply for this sort of position?

I have chosen to concentrate on Java initially and am currently working my way through the Java for Dummies book :)o). It is proving really helpful and I have found the examples and breakdowns particularly useful.

I'm not sure that I would be advanced enough by March to apply for a scheme such as the one you mention?

Many Thanks!

Associate
OP
I think TheReaperGuy might be talking about the scheme I am currently on, if not it my be similar, I have been a Higher Apprentice for over a year now and when I applied I had no real experience other than basic HTML. They looked for transferable skills and a passion for IT / software development.

The scheme was designed to introduce you to becoming a Software Developer, with technical training in Java to start you off.

I'll have to look into this, it could be just what I need.

Cheers mate.

Also, does anybody know of any good sites where I could go through online tutorials based in the browser just like code academy? It seems like a really great way to learn and would compliment the book I'm working through well. The only problem is I can't find anywhere that does Java.

Thanks Guys.

Back
Top Bottom