How to ground shielded cat6 without a patch panel

zel

zel

Associate
I'm wanting to run a cat6 shielded cable (cable will run close to mains for a bit and will be powering a POE access point) within the house.

I've got a few unshielded cables installed in the house already and thought no problem, will just do the same with shielded cable/jacks.

Having bought the cable and keystone jacks I've hit an unanticipated problem.

How do I ground the jacks without using a patch panel?

Currently the cables I have installed all run into jack housing similar to this which is slotted into something similar to this and then mounted to standard back boxes.

Problem is I don't see any way to attach a ground cable to the keystone jacks and the housing is all plastic.

Anyone any ideas?

Man of Honour
Don't worry about it IMO, I've got cat5e running next to power over short/house distances running perfectly fine at 10 Gbps.

zel

zel

Associate
OP
This cable is 25m though and will run next to the main power cable between the consumer unit and meter for for 1.5m, not even sure it will work...

I'm thinking I might try these, assuming I get continuity between the shielding that's wrapped over the end of the cable and the keystone housing.

Caporegime
You don't need shielded cable in a house just because it's running alongside some mains power cables. Shielding is designed for industrial applications where it's got to exist alongside a bunch of massive motors chucking out EMF all over the place.

zel

zel

Associate
OP
1.5m next to single phase is nothing - we've run unshielded cat5e in the same ducting as 3 phase mains cable for 50m+ runs without issue.
Thanks! I guess all the warnings I found googling are exaggerations. Should have asked before buying the cable & jacks I guess!

Back
Top Bottom