How to improve my audio quality

Soldato
I am trying to improve my PC music quality by using a Hi-Fi amplifier. I was using Creative T40 speakers but having several devices (a couple of PCs, dreamcast /xbox on VGA, PS2) made me consider going down the separate amplifier and speakers route as this allows me to plug various PCs into it easily and I hoped would offer improved sound quality, although the T40s are very good.

My Dad (who is sort of into old hi-fi equipment) gave me an amp and speakers he had kicking around. At the moment my music feels a bit... flat, and especially dull at the high end eg 4k Hz plus (which I countered for using the Realtek/ASUS equaliser, as the built in treble adjuster made the speakers hiss quite badly). I am using:

Realtek HD Audio + Spotify "premium" sound
Acoustic Solutions SP103 (Specification)
Small Sony bookshelf speakers (SS-CNE3 Specification)

I don't really have my music very loud (hence not being worried about using a 40w app through 15w speakers).

I'm looking for the sort of sound quality you'd get from a CD (i.e. not convert my music into terabytes of 'lossless' audio) on a really good hi-fi. But I don't really know what is the 'weakest link' in the system. the Realtek onboard sound? Spotify? Amp? speakers?

Associate
You can only get the sound quality possible from a CD if the music file was mastered at and stays at 16 bit 44.1kHz (standard CD audio encoding).
If I really value music I buy the CD and rip it to my PC.
Lossy formats save data space by losing the bits of audio the algorithm thinks you least need to keep. This typically will result in reduction of the top end, and as the settings become more aggressive also the bottom end, along with dynamic range.

Last edited:
Soldato
potentially 'try out' a chromecast audio wireless dac ~£25 from likes of Curry's, plugged into your Amp and see what you think ?
can cast from spotify directly or plex running on any of you computers.
Could drive your t40's too from the chromecast.

Soldato
The Acoustic Solutions amp is fine, don't worry about this for now.

Realtek HD audio, I presume this is onboard sound. Could be improved by better sound card, or external DAC, still not your problem however.

The speakers however are not very good, by far the weakest link in your audio. I don't know what size of room your trying to fill, or if it has to be desktop / studio / floor standing speakers. It does not matter how much you spend on Amps, DAC's, or spotify premium nothing will sound good until you replace those speakers.

Last edited:
Associate
Or a pair of Active speakers like Ruark MR1'S i own a pair with an external DAC. Something like Musical fidelity V90 DAC and they sound lovely very happy with mine cost £500 for the Ruarks and the DAC but well worth it

Man of Honour
I use an old Musical Fidelity X-Ray Amplifier with a pair of Q Acoustic 3020's plugged into it. This is an old amp so doesn't have any form of digital connection so I use a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC to which I connect the PC and in turn route that into the Amplifier via a 1 into 2 phono cable. It works well but I can see me buying another DAC as like you I have a few devices I would like to connect to the amp via a digital connection (Apple TV, consoles etc) so need more connections. Just re-using old stuff really, bar the speakers which I bought for PC use.

Back
Top Bottom