• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to know if a graphics card is faulty?

Associate
Hi, I receieved the parts for my build yesterday morning.

Asus GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler Master CM690-II Lite Dominator Case & GX 750W Power Supply
Cooler Master GX 750W '80 Plus' Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler

Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to run some benchmarks.
I tried to run 3Dmark 11 test demo, 3DMark vantage test demo, and also the unigine demos.

Almost everytime I run a benchmark It crashes with the "nvidia display driver stopped working and recovered". On the "Jane nash" test of Vantage, it seems to crash at exactly the same frame every time. But the odd thing is, on both 3Dmark 11 and unigine, I managed to get through a benchmark a couple of times, and then other times it would fail.

The error I get with 3DMark is
Workload Single init returned error message: eva::d3d11::rendering::scene_renderer::render(): draw_unshadowed_illumination_task for thread 0: File: device_context.cpp
Line: 515
Function: struct ID3D11CommandList *__cdecl eva::d3d11::deferred_device_context::do_finish_com mand_list(bool)

Expression: native()->FinishCommandList( restore_deferred_context_state, &result): DX11 call failed.

Device hung due to badly formed commands.
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: ID3D11DeviceContext::FinishCommandList:

And the error I get with the Heaven 2.5 bencmark from unigine is:
"D3D11AppWindow::do_swap():device removed"

The errors seem to be random on 3DMark 11 and heaven 2.5.

Does this look like a faulty card? What else could cause this?

I would like to know what sort of tests OcUK would do to test for a fault, so I can do it myself and not waste money.

Also, I had the latest drivers installed.

Associate
OP
Well, apparently, the "stock" gtx570 has a core clock of 732Mhz. Asus factory overclocked the DirectCU II to 742Mhz. I haven't overclocked or changed voltage at all.
It currently uses 0.975v I think. The only thing different to the stock 570 is the core clock.

Associate
OP
Yes it has onboard VGA, But I don't think the onboard would be dx11 would it?
I don't know what folding is either.

I just found something out though. I ran dxdiag and under the display tab the ddriver of the card has a ddi value of 10.1.

Doesn't that mean the card can only support dx 10?

Associate
OP
How much should I imcrease the voltage by though? I have no idea about that stuff :/

Also, did you see my reply about ddi version in dxdiag? If you have a DX11 card, can you check what your ddi version says under the display tab please?

Associate
OP
Well, I tried a fresh install with the drivers that came with it. The latest drivers, and new beta drivers that dont have whql.

I see you have an nvidia card, can you post a screenshot of your dxdiag?

Associate
OP
Wow, I feel like I should give you the money I would have had to pay OcUK for the shipping and VAT to get it tested for faults lol.

I put it to 1.024v and it ran through the whole 3DMark 11 perfectly. I then went back to 0.975 to test again, and sure enough, it crashed with the error. I am once again testing at the new voltage but it looks like it will work!

I would never have thought of changing that because I would be afraid of killing the card :D.

But the ddi version is still bugging me. I CAN run the heaven 2.5 benchmark and enable tesselation, so dx11 MUST be enabled, I think.

Thanks again, you saved me from wasting money!

Back
Top Bottom