how to power a waterpump without PSU?

Associate
so i have a cheap waterpump to use as a flusher for my new rads, can i power it without using a PSU? i have no idea how this would work lol.

if not can any of you tell me the name of a really cheap psu used for only this flushing please?

Soldato
Personally I have 6, 9 and 12V supplies I've nicked from old electronics. Just normal power brick things from toys, keyboards, etc. I cut the plugs off and solder two solid core wires. Either push the wires into a fan plug, or figure out another way to join them up. I like to fit the 6V supply to a breadboard and fit a load of fans to that, to test my case airflow before i set the actual PC up in a case.

A 9V battery works well for fans but generally can't supply enough current to drive a pump.

Soldato
Also if you're flushing rads, make sure you have a bowl for the gunk to settle in unless you have a filter. I put the pipe from the radiator on the bottom of the bowl and put the inlet to the pump near the surface of the water on the opposite side from the other pipe. That way, crud settles and isn't sucked back up by the pump inlet.

Associate
OP
It is for a mayhems blitz flush. I have been thinking of ways to do what you have suggested after the blitz part though. Considering using the kitchen sink tbh.

Soldato
Don't use the Mayhem's Blitz radiator stuff through a pump! You don't know what the acidity will do to components. Unless you just want to flush water straight though in which case yeah, kitchen tap alternating with the shakey dance I'd say. I'd also do it in both directions through the rad.

Associate
OP
It says to do it with a pump. Even the video shows the guy doing it with a pump. You have to run it for 12 to 24 hours on radiators first use.

Soldato
It says to do it with a pump. Even the video shows the guy doing it with a pump. You have to run it for 12 to 24 hours on radiators first use.
Blitz kit part 1 is for new/new-to-you radiators - it's acidic and cleans gunk and corrosion. Leave in for 6-12 hours then rinse out.

Blitz kit part 2 cleans the entire system and is run for 24 hours through the finished loop. Based on the instructions at https://www.mayhems.net/products/mayhems-blitz-kit

There's nothing wrong with thorough cleaning ahead of time but as it can clean the entire loop, seems sensible to do it in situ.

Associate
OP
Hmm. I got 2 radiators from mayhems and they came with some stuff. 1 bottle of blitz and 1 xt nuke I think. Not sure what blitz it is though.

Associate
OP
I bought mayhems tubing because I've heard of the problems lol. Also still got.some coolant from last time which I think is mayhems also.

So do I need to get me some part 1 to clean the radiators then? Why would it come with the neutraliser but not the acid? I do have some stuff I bought ages ago to do a clean but never used it. Will check what it is when I get home.

Man of Honour
Part 2 isn't just a neutraliser for part 1 but it's a cleaner as well. The problem I have is that all you are doing is circulating the same fluid and any gunk it dislodges is either going to circulate endlessly or clog the blocks/radiator up again meaning you will have to strip the blocks anyway. That's why I have always used it with a inline filter. It's actually surprising how much a filter can pick up.

Associate
OP
Yea I don't have part 1 but the amount of gunk he got from his new mayhems radiators is making me think I'm going to need some. Same brand as mine. I could just do the vinegar thing he does though.

He also says you don't need to pump part 2 around your loop. I'll be replacing all tubing and I may aswell clean my gpu block. It's a black 1 so worried the o ring might move when putting it back together and I wont be able to see it...

Associate
OP
So not sure I've got enough coolant left over from my last build. Its mayhems x1 UV blue. Can I just add some xt nuke and deionized water to top it up?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No because XT nuke and X1 are different types of coolant with XT Nuke being Ethylene Glycol based. You could buy some UV blue dye and mix that with some de-ionised water but to be honest by the time you have done that it would have cost more than a 1ltr bottle of pre-mix.

Associate
OP
I was impatient and unsure so just used the nuke with di water. I’ll buy some dye.

So I bought a cheap fan hub/controller and it puts all my fans on full speed. So noisy. Any names for cheap ones that can change speed?

Back
Top Bottom