How to reformat when cd/dvd drive doesn't work?

Associate
I've Google'd to no avail.

I want to reformat my sister's laptop because it just needs one lol. The CD/DVD drive stopped working a few months ago. I have all the System Restore etc. CDs. I've got a USB stick and both the ports on the laptop still work (one is a bit dodgy but is working right now). How do I reformat the system without the use of the CD/DVD drive?

Associate
OP
Hmm thanks. lol I was kinda hoping that a reformat would help bring back the use of the CD/DVD drives. :| Because a while back it stopped playing DVDs.. I read somewhere that downgrading the flash on it might make it work.. now it's disappeared from 'My Computer' ever since.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Associate
OP
How do I do that?

In my BIOS under the 'Boot' menu option, all I have are:

Network boot [Only with F12]
Boot-time diagnostic screen [Disabled]
Summary screen [Disabled]
NumLock [Off]
QuickBoot Mode [Enabled]
TV Out Mode [PAL]
Smart Battery Calibration

Associate
OP
Okay, I found how to change the order. CD/DVD drive is at the top of the booting order. Rebooted with the CD in the drive, doesn't work.. it just boots up as normal.

Associate
OP
Yeah I think I killed it when I downgraded the flash on it. But I assumed a simple reformat would fix the problem :(

I've got a DVD+/-RW combo on mine but hell no am I taking that apart lol. I don't have experience taking apart laptops and I don't intend to start now!

So what are my options? Buying a new drive?

Associate
OP
Paulus said:
there some broken samsung v25's for sale on flea bay for spares for very little money... ;)

Hmm. I just checked them out. Even if I did buy a damaged identical machine I don't trust myself opening up a laptop!

Siders77 said:
Yes. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acata..._RW_Drives.html

They're all quite pricey though, sadly. :(

Try some other well known shops :)

I would do that, but I'm not sure if I've killed the actual drive completely. Is there any other way to find out?

Back
Top Bottom