How to remove a striped Hex Screw?

Depends on the size and location.

1. You can use things called Easy-outs, which means you drill a hole the right size, and reverse screw one in which grips the hole, and removes the bolt.
2. Hammer a torx driver into it, the teeth should bite in the sides.
3. hacksaw a slit to use wth a flat screwdriver

You can get reverse threaded drill bits, usually work pretty well.

Or very carefully drill off the head with a tiny bit (aim is the same size as the shaft? of the bolt) then remove the stub from the block with pliers/mole grips.

I contacted EK about getting some replacement screws for the block, and they said I need "M3x12 7991 DIN"
Can't seem to find any online, any one know where I can get some? I need only 1 or 2.
I still haven't tried removing the striped screw yet!

Hi, always tight'n the screw slightly clockwise as this breaks anything like Loctite used on the screw and do the same as somtimes even the screw justs grabs the screw hole wall it self. Neve use cheap tools as this is one of the main factors in chewing the screw head and so you don't forget which is clockwise and anti-clockwise theres a little ditty > Lefty Loosy/Righty Tighty. :)

Can you post a picture of it? May be easier to suggest things if we can see it.

Another option is to drill it out and re tap the hole slightly larger (done this on my car but not sure about delicate computer parts!)

Ok here is a pic when I first got it. Didn't get a pic of the striped screw though! Block is back in the loop so cant remove it yet. I will take it apart in couple of weeks.

5926530638_a0d43d31be_b.jpg
[/url] 030920101343 by Avathar77, on Flickr[/IMG]

Update :
Just got a response from EK saying they can send me some spare screws for P&P charges only, it is going to be 4EUR, so not that much more compared to the link hyperst gave(thanx for that by the way)

Last edited:
Hmm, if the stripped screw is one of the black ones in the photo, you can't really cut the head off it or drill out the hole easily. I would try to get the smallest easyout (I'm sure the set I have goes down to 5mm - try fleabay for a set) you can and use that, or use a dremel to fashion a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

If you are really steady, you can glue a small nut onto the head and use a tiny spanner to undo it. Or just glue something on that you can grip and maybe use pliers.

Have done it in the past, shame as i could have sent all the tools needed todo it (tiny nut etc) :(

I was thinking of gluing the head of the hex key which came with the block, or to make a grove using the dremel so that a flat head screw driver would fit. I have some small enough nuts as well! I will see if that works as "Bring the Rain" said.
Going to order JML screw extractor as well, because I have some other striped screws in the house here and there :)

Back
Top Bottom