How to remove Kidde smoke alarm

Soldato
Hi all

I have a Kidde smoke alarm with a non-removable battery. Last night it started beeping to indicate a low battery. When I try to remove the alarm from it's ceiling mount, all I can do is twist the alarm around one way and then back again. At no point in this twisting process does the alarm come away from the mount. I have tried pulling, shoving and everything, but the alarm will not come free from the ceiling mount.

Does anyone have any idea how to remove these things? I don't want to have a night disturbed by the thing beeping every few seconds.

Many thanks

M.

Soldato
Mine require a thin screw driver. There should be a niche on the rim. You need to depress the latch if yours is like mine and then twist.

T78VCru.png

The latch is at the top. Hope that helps.

Associate
It's off! It appears to have been stuck to the ceiling (the fire service put it up for free when doing door to door fire safety rounds).

yup they put one up for me few year back stuck it on with crappy adheisive pads it lasted four hours before crashing to the floor :p had to break out my drill and tools to do a proper job

Soldato
We had one beeping recently. Said battery shouldn't be replaced, why exactly is this? Because being a bit irresponsible I just pulled it open and replaced battery anyway because the beep was annoying me, that and the fact I'd already bought battery without knowing.

I'm thinking it's a lifing thing. Suppose it's time to update em.

Last edited:
Associate
yep should replace every 10 years even if battery ok.

there cheap buy anyway.

Even better get carbon monoxide and smoke detector combined.

Even better still get linked detectors that set each other off, so if upstairs or downstairs detects something they both go off.

Or pay a bit more and get the nest ones they will even email/text you if they go off or the battery needs replacing.

Back
Top Bottom