How to send a Zippo back for repair

Soldato
I have an old Zippo lighter that needs repairing. I've found out that Royal Mail and a few other courier companies (DPD, MyHerpes,DHL to name a few) will not accept flammable items.

I have messaged Zippo to see if they can recommend a courier, but whilst I wait for a reply from them, does anyone know of a courier company that will accept flammable items? Second hand lighters are classed as flammable, which I understand, except this one have been empty for at least 11 years, but that's of no consequence. A second hand lighter is, in the courier's eyes, flammable!

Thanks

I've tried DPD, DHL and MyHermes so far. Trouble is that if the item is transported via air it will be xrayed and subsequently destroyed. On doing some quick research, this has happened to people who have been disingenuous about the package's contents. I'd rather not lose this item, as it is quite sentimental :)

The Royal Mail doesn't do logic. I can't send a blunt antique sword through the post, but I can send any amount of razor sharp kitchen knives.

Which bit of the Zippo needs repairing? You could just send the shell if it's that. If not, I'd remove the flint, the wadding and leave the rest out somewhere safe to let any lighter fluid evaporate off.

If its of high sentimental value id think the only guaranteed way would be to phone a courier company and tell them what it is. Maybe get sent with an ADR vehicle!
Might actually be cheaper driving to the lighter repair shop.

The only way it will get destroyed is if you don't declare what it is and they find out.

they never check.
i sent a zippo back to them years ago no problem (can't remember if they even asked what it was).
Also came back via royal mail.
couriers check even less (as in zero) - package it well and nobody will be the wiser.

i'd be willing to bet that rule applies to the plastic sealed disposable types of things you get in quidland - if you enpty the fluid anc wadding there should be no issue - that's how you'd get a new one from a shop.

rm have a problem with sending lithium batteries?

news to me, i sent off my phone for warrenty and told them what it was and they didn't have issue, neither did they have issue with it coming back with a massive "lithium battery explosion risk" sticker on it.

i've sent zippos off before and never had any issue, one thing to point out if there's any part of it is of sentimental value (eg the case) then you need to warn zippo about that before sending it to them, as if they can't repair a given part they'll bin it and fit a brand new replacement.

rm have a problem with sending lithium batteries?

news to me, i sent off my phone for warrenty and told them what it was and they didn't have issue, neither did they have issue with it coming back with a massive "lithium battery explosion risk" sticker on it.
thats because its an orgiginal battery and in the equipment.

Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.
Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.
The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging. Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited
yet when i order batteries of ebay/aliexpress or similar they get delivered by RM with no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom